Author Topic: potatoes?  (Read 1641 times)

simmo116

• Acre
potatoes?
« on: October 29, 2008, 18:56:07 »
hi guys me again. now im a bit confused about taters there are so many difernt kinds. now as i believe there are 3 crops a year ? do i plant 3 differnt types or can i plant the same type at different intervals? we eat mainly mash and roasters. what would you say is the best all rounder thats gonna give me a good crop size. also as im using raised beds lets say ive just harvested my first early crop what would i put in its place? what veg is suited to the same soil quality?im getting all scientific now. is there plants /veg that can go in at same time to complement each other? heard somewhere about onions and carrots go well together? as this is all new to me i want to keep my first season prety simple. there's just so much info to take in (im drowning in it)lol ??? oh and can i just let my taters out of the shed to just go to seed? if i dont eat them....lol
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 19:14:48 by simmo116 »

PAULW

• Acre
Re: potatoes?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 05:46:25 »
SIMMO
First thing, I take it you are on a lottie! go round and ask your neighbours what they grow, there may be a spud that doesn't do well on the type of soil you have, 

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 08:52:05 »
Hi Simmo
Too many questions!
But re the potatoes I've grown Nadine, which were fantastic for roasting, decent crop and decent size. Other and more experienced people on here may well have other or better recommendations. They are whats called a second early. for info re potatoes and anyother veg you can think of I'd recommend checking out the Gardeners Almanac - really useful info, well set out and readable to a relative beginner like me!
www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 09:02:25 »
morning simmo - you are really in for it now  ::)   Most people have their favourits so the advice offered by paulw is good.  Personally I grew Maris Peer (2nd earlies) and Maris Piper (lates) this year.  Not huge spuds but big enough to roast and by the sounds of some of the comments on various threads on here recently, it's not been a great year for big spuds anyway. 
twinkletoes

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 09:21:01 »
you might find this interesting

http://www.britishpotatoes.co.uk/potato-varieties/

mainly divided into firsts, seconds, early maincrop, maincrop and late maincrop and all have their most suitable types, planted over a period of time from very early spring (earlier if you have large buckets etc in tunnels or greenhouses) up to the end of april for late maincrops - then you have to decide what type of spud you want, so pick ones that are best for roasting and mash

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 21:06:02 »
I grew Pentland Javelin for my earlies and Desiree and Maris Piper for my main crop. I found M Piper great for mash and Desiree are wonderful roasted and they are particularly resistant to wireworm and slugs being a red variety.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 00:49:12 »
I have Aron Pilot as early,  Charlotte early crop,  Kestrel as a 2nd early,  Desiree as a main crop.  For your 'mash & roasters' Kestrel and Desiree without a doubt.  Both useful for many potato cooking methods and a decent size spud too.

Click the link for some starter nformation on growing potatoes
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/info/growing-potatoes/introduction.html

If you have the room and if you want a quick fix for your first year of growing spuds here is a beginners collection until you are more comfortable choosing varieties:
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/potatoes1/product/zww5047/1.html
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 00:58:51 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 16:16:28 »
Unless you're going to grow absolutely masses of spuds, I should go for a first early and a maincrop. After a year you'll have a better idea what suits you. If you're a major potato eating family, then perhaps go for a first early, a second early to follow on, and a maincrop to see you through the winter.

adam apple

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 20:26:39 »
I like CARA big spuds, good chips, yum yum  :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 05:26:56 »
I like CARA big spuds, good chips, yum yum  :)
I had read all good things about Cara.  I grew them once, 2 years ago and had the worst potato crop ever.  80% riddled with hoes or rotten spuds.  Highly disappointing for me.  Yet the other 5 varieties I grew the same year all did well. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 08:12:42 »
Sometimes some do that kt... then another time they are fine. First year I grew Picasso they were a waste of space and it took me a few years before I was prepared to grow them again but these last two years they have been fine!
 ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal