Author Topic: Planting now  (Read 1749 times)

heleng

Planting now
« on: October 30, 2008, 15:59:17 »
I have just dug over a new allotment and I am ready to plant something but I'm wondering about the cost - for example, just been on a website selling two garlic bulbs for 4.50 - if I bought two in the supermarket they would only cost 70p....am I missing something or are seeds this expensive - is there a cheaper way to get started....Thanks!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Planting now
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 16:07:02 »
hiya, heleng, welcome to the site  ;D
we've used garlic from the supermarket in the past, we just planted the larger cloves and ate the smaller ones  ;D

heleng

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 16:37:51 »
That's great, thanks - can you do this with anything else? ???

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 17:06:08 »
Hi HelenG and welcome from me too.

Many A4A members get their seeds from Wilkos or Lidl. (I would if the stores were nearer). I think they have good germination rates and the price is in pence not in pounds like most packets from the well known seed companies.

I know B&Q seeds are actually supplied from Suttons Seeds.

Perhaps check out the two stores mentioned above.

You could always ask everyone to give you seeds for Christmas (provide them with a list of stuff you'd like to grow), that would cut down on your costs  ;D

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 17:08:30 »
shhh, don't tell anyone  ;D
we grew dried peas from the supermarket, got peas that were a bit marrowfatty, we used supermarket spuds that had sprouted, in containers..seed from tomatoes, peppers, chillies and squash that you buy can be dried and grown..also, we've done fennel and celery from seed for cooking..don't know how well they do, didn't keep notes then
lidl, netto, aldi, wilkinsons all have seeds at less than 50p in spring..keep a watch out on bargains galore on this site  :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 19:50:48 »
Welcome to the forum.

This website is one of the cheapest around,  at least half the price of some others for the same variety of stuff:
www.kingsseeds.com
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

heleng

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 20:40:16 »
Thanks for all your tips - I've got a few more ideas now!

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 20:57:37 »
I get a lot of my seeds from the allotment shop they sell Kings seeds and they have an excellent record for germination and as you could see from my gallery ... good results especially with the corn. I've also used seeds from Wilko with some success. It may be a little expensive in your 1st season buying the pukka stuff but once this is past you will have loads of seeds etc ready for the following seasons. They do say that buying from the supermarket is a no-no as nothing is certified as disease free etc but of course that's up to you. Anyway good luck with the plot and here's to a successful 2008/9 season. 

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 12:08:28 »
Welcome from me too Heleng :D

Sounds like you have lots to go on now, enjoy the site ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 12:23:16 »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal