Author Topic: new allotment with weeds!!!!!!!!  (Read 4242 times)

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
new allotment with weeds!!!!!!!!
« on: October 30, 2008, 15:48:35 »
HI WE'VE JUST TAKEN OVER A NEW ALLOTMENT WHICH HAS GOT ABOUT 1 YEARS LOT OF WEEDS ECT GROWING ON IT HAS ANYONE GOT A QUICK SOLOTION ON HOW TO GET RID OF, OR WOULD IT BE BETTER TO JUST DIG UP.
THANK YOU  :)

taylors choice

Re: new allotment with weeds!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 15:55:10 »
Thanks for the advice, free adverts are not allowed.

Now removed.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 14:25:26 by Admin aka Dan »

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 15:55:15 »
Hello Woody Brown and welcome to A4A.

Congrats on getting your new lottie.

Now to answer your question.

If you have perennial weeds, it's always best to dig them out. (Docks, nettles, couch grass etc).

Dig a little at a time and cover with either thick black plastic or thick cardboard (weighted down).

Make a plot plan... i.e mark out for your beds and pathways...No point digging where your paths are going to go, keep them nice and firm.

Good luck with your lottie and don't forget to take lots of before and after pics. You'd be amazed how much progress you can make in a week/end.

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 15:58:07 »
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE QUICK REPLY

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 16:04:43 »
and will NOT poison the ground.

that's funny, when I googled "diquat" out of curiosity that's not what this (http://everything2.com/e2node/diquat) website said:

Diquat dibromide is unfortunately very well absorbed by both soil and clay, and has a half-life in the field of over 1,000 days. Tests indicate that it usually remains in the topmost inch of soil for long periods of time after application. In water, it quickly binds to suspended particles (especially silt) in the water, so it cannot be used to clear weeds in muddy areas. It is also rapidly absorbed into plants, but generally kills the parts of the plant it is absorbed into too rapidly to be carried through the plant.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 16:09:14 »
hiya, woodybrown and taylorschoice, welcome to the site  ;D
another vote for digging out the nasties and covering as you go  ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 16:35:49 »
Taylors Choice, are you connected with this product by any chance? 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

taylors choice

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 16:39:48 »
I work for a horticultural wholesaler that has sold this product for many years.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 16:46:08 »
I work for a horticultural wholesaler that has sold this product for many years.

I see.  And is it in your interest to boost sales of this product?  I ask because it is considered bad form to pose as a member simply to promote your wares. 

G x 
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

taylors choice

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 16:51:14 »
Whilst i am a keen gardener i am also very fortunate to work for a company that has for over 40 years has been supplying allotments societies. And so it could be viewed that i am trying to promote the companies wares but only because i have an expertise in this area and these products are very hard to find. If this is deemed to be bad form then please advise and i will cease to provide my informative advice  :)

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 16:54:36 »
Hi woodybrown, welcome to the site,
i'm with the other who say stay with the organic approach and dig out the nasties weeds then cover  the rest with black plastic, or weed membrane, or cardboard, or a tarpaulin,

you know that you can plant through all of these coverings,  ;D

and as LS said, draw a plan for your growing areas, (take a look at her pictures) :o ;D (only the gardening one though ::) :o :o :o ;D ;) just joking )

take you time and enjoy it,
take pictures,
my allotment
heaven

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 16:54:48 »
Thanks for your honesty.  It's not up to me but the Moderators.   :)

G x

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 17:01:18 »
I would dig it over removing all roots as you go if I were you. You have all winter to get the ground prepared & applying any kind of weedkiller at this time of year when the weeds will be dying back for the winter anyway seems pointless to me.

Based on the datasheet for "speedway 2" it is not an appropriate herbicide for an amateur gardener to use.
http://www.sherriff-amenity.com/userfiles/Scotts/Speedway%202.pdf
Intended Use: For use only by Local Authorities & Professional Spray Operators.
For use only as a Horticultural/Industrial herbicide

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 19:44:41 »
HI WE'VE JUST TAKEN OVER A NEW ALLOTMENT WHICH HAS GOT ABOUT 1 YEARS LOT OF WEEDS ECT GROWING ON IT HAS ANYONE GOT A QUICK SOLOTION ON HOW TO GET RID OF, OR WOULD IT BE BETTER TO JUST DIG UP.
No quick solution but you have answered your own question.....  Get digging matey ;D ;D  Welcome to the site too. ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 20:17:33 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 20:04:04 »
Cover it and roll back and dig it as you go. Do not use weed killer and don't take anybodys advice that works for a company of products that he's recommending, any one thats been in the game for 40 years would know as Baccyman says its pointless applying the product this time of year, they are applied when the weeds are active. Three posts in no hello or introduction just SELL SELL SELL, by the way welcome WOODY.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 20:10:53 »
hi woodybrown welcome to the site im a newbie lottie aswell woo hoo! i plan to atack my plot tomorow with a brush strimmer then dig over a few small plots the size of my raised beds(havent made them yet.) then going to cover the rest with plastic untill i can get round to them. load of help from the guys on this site and like lauren s said take loads of pictures. :)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 20:28:15 »
Yep, take loads of pics and don't forget, we all love to see your progress, so don't forget to post them on A4A....We are all very nosey  ;D

Lauren  :)

Oh P.S 

If not already a member, create an account with photobucket (It's a free photo saving web site), upload your pics to PB. When you want to post your pics for the forum use the IMG code located at the bottom of each pic in PB. Copy and paste the code into your A4A reply.

www.photobucket.com
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 20:46:44 »
Hi woodybrown and yes welcome to the site. If you look at my gallery you'll see what I've been up against and how plot 1 (taken on in May 2007) has progressed. This was ac hived with hard work and no chemical help. As you wont be growing much over the next few months it's the ideal time to keep yourself fit with a lot of digging and weeding. Keep at it woodybrown this is definitely they way forward. I'm looking forward to working on my 2nd plot over the winter month.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 21:31:57 »
I had to do a bit of digging around in the Pesticides Register as there are no approved products with the name Speedway.  I did find the revocation notice for it though.  It's a formatted .pdf so it doesn't reproduce here very well but you can probably get the gist.  I think taylors choice and his employer should check the lawfulness of advertising this stuff for sale.     

FOOD AND ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION ACT 1985
CONTROL OF PESTICIDES REGULATIONS 1986:

Revocation Notice

Notice is hereby given that in exercise of the powers conferred by Regulation 5 of the Control of Pesticides Regulations 1986 (SI 1986/1510) (as amended) and of all other powers enabling them in that behalf, the Secretary of State, and the Scottish Ministers (as regards Scotland) and the Welsh Ministers and the Secretary of State (acting jointly as regards Wales) have:

(a)   revoked approval for the advertisement, sale, supply, storage and use of the pesticide products listed in the Schedule.

(b)   Given approval until 11 July 2008 for the advertisement, sale, supply and use by persons other than the approval holder for the pesticide products listed in the schedule.

(c)   Given approval until 11 July 2008 for storage by any persons for the pesticide products listed in the schedule.

Date of issue:      (a)   28 November 2007

Dates of expiry:      (b)   11 July 2008

(c)   11 July 2008

ALL OTHER CONDITIONS OF APPROVAL REMAIN UNCHANGED

SCHEDULE

Product Name   MAFF /MAPP Number   Approval Holder   Revoking Notice of Approval Number
ASAP   M11485   Me2 Crop Protection Limited
   3660 of 2007
Clayton Paradigm   M12001   Clayton Plant Protection (UK) Limited
   3661 of 2007
Fernpath Pronto   M11988   AgriGuard Limited
   3662 of 2007
PDQ   M10532   Syngenta Crop Protection UK Limited
   3663 of 2007
Speedway 2   M10790   Syngenta Crop Protection UK Limited
   3664 of 2007

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 22:08:27 »
How strange, a newbie who asks, nae shouts a question, the ultimate question asked by everyone who's ever been confronted with an allotment for the first time.

And then another newbie who, coincidentally? registerd within 15 minutes of the other, offers "Informative advise".

Informative advise my arse, Calculated con desinged to offload illegal stock they've been landed with.

Too many coincidences for them not to be either from the same company or one and the same person.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal