Author Topic: Chilli variety for outdoors  (Read 5438 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Chilli variety for outdoors
« on: October 30, 2008, 15:01:22 »
Hi
I'm wanting to grow chillies from seeds next year (have only previously bought plug plants from a local garden centre and can't remember the variety). from what I've read most seeds are ok to start off on a windowsill but some only seem to be ok for indoors or greenhouses. So what variety would you experts out there recommend for growing outside in a pot in a nice sunny spot in the garden? I've been looking at various sites for seeds and am not clear or convinced that all of them would be ok.

Thanks

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Chilli variety for outdoors
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 15:03:12 »
Hi
I'm wanting to grow chillies from seeds next year (have only previously bought plug plants from a local garden centre and can't remember the variety). from what I've read most seeds are ok to start off on a windowsill but some only seem to be ok for indoors or greenhouses. So what variety would you experts out there recommend for growing outside in a pot in a nice sunny spot in the garden? I've been looking at various sites for seeds and am not clear or convinced that all of them would be ok.

Thanks
Sorry forgot to add I want to grow chillies for eating and not drying!
Thanks

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 15:39:59 »
Hi 1066,
I grew all my chillis outside this year and last. I just potted a couple up last week and brought them into the greenhouse. The rest of my chilllis went to new homes on Freecycle  :D

Chilli De Cayenne

Lauren
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 15:43:30 »
Just about any chilli can be put outdoors from May onwards but you'll have to start them off indoors or under glass and quite early in the year. I find that the ancho and serrano types seem to take the longest to ripen. Jalapeno and Cayenne the fastest.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 10:18:44 »
Thanks for the replies

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 10:21:08 »
Seconded for Cayenne.  I've had a huge crop of ripe ones from Hot Cayenne outdoors.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 23:10:57 »
are there any others that do ok outside
thank you lbb

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 08:18:11 »
Having only grown chillies in Spain, I can't really comment! I do start my seeds very early (late nov early dec) in the heated greenhouse. I plant out in March April.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 10:46:20 »
Do you use propagators? Basically I was wanting to avoid having to use (buy) a propagator. If I don't whats the next best way to ensure germination? Also I don't have a greenhouse, but do have sunny window cills and a suny patio, oh and the will to grow chillies from seed!!
Thanks for all your help on this - have had a delivery today from Real Seeds, decided on Nigels Outdoors Green Chilli (thought the name was a good give-away LOL) and am waiting for another delivery for Apache  ;D ;D ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 18:27:10 »
To germinate mine (Apache) I plant 2 seeds into dampened seed compost in a peat pot, cover loosely with a placcy bag & put on top of the combi-boiler which is in a dark pantry (well, dark when the light's off, like :-\). As soon as there's signs of life, I bring the pot out into the kitchen, remove placcy bag & grow on, always watering from the bottom. Germination is 100% so I should, then, thin to the strongest, but hey! who can do that? So I prick the 2nd out & usually pot it into its own pot...these and everything else are kept in the house moving them to whichever is the sunniest place during the day.

I'm sure you've got the right conditions, 10, and good luck 8)

Sorry, forgot to say that the only propagator I have is an ordinary seed tray I stand my peatpots on, and one of those placcy tops you can buy at Wilkos for pence each to cover.

Lishka
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 18:29:12 by Hyacinth »

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 18:20:47 »
Soak the seeds overnight first to speed up germination! Lukewarm chamomile tea is good for soaking, good for preventing damping off too If you keep the soil damp with it too.

Your window sill sounds fine, my greenhouse goes down to 6 degrees!

I'm waiting for a real seeds order too! can't wait!

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 09:02:24 »
Thanks for the replies - I figured a placcy bag might help as they need heat so its nice to confirm that but I hadn't thought of soaking them so great tip there

Off to make a batch of Harissa now (shop bought chillies this year - home grown next!!!)
Thanks

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 19:00:42 »
MMmmmmmm home made Harissa paste  :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal