Author Topic: advice about rice  (Read 13982 times)

sarah

• Hectare
advice about rice
« on: October 30, 2008, 11:34:48 »
i always tend to cook too much rice. i have always been lead to believe that it is unsafe to keep rice so i usually throw away whats not eaten. this goes against my whole philosophyof trying not to waste food. so... am i right or am i wrong. is it or is it not safe to keep left over rice and reheat it later.? ???

betula

• Hectare
Re: advice about rice
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 11:37:08 »
You are quite right to dispose of rice quickly.

Major cause of food poisoning.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 11:41:20 »
I freeze leftover rice. It's a problem if you keep it at room temperature, or possibly even in a fridge. Here's what the Food Standards Agency has to say :

It's true that you could get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. But it's not actually the reheating that's the problem – it's the way the rice has been stored before reheating.

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, bacteria that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive. Then, if the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will germinate into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea. Reheating the rice won't get rid of these toxins.

So, the longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that bacteria, or the toxins they produce, could stop the rice being safe to eat.

It's best to serve rice when it has just been cooked. If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour) and keep it in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating.

Remember that when you reheat any food, you should always check that it's piping hot all the way through, and avoid reheating more than once.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 12:26:03 »
It's fine for a couple of days in the fridge... or you can cook less! :P

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 12:36:57 »
Well I'll be blowed!  I have kept rice for maybe 2 - 3 days on the cooker top and heated it in the microwave many many times and I am still alive!  What good fortune and luck is that!?

Old Bird
 ;D

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 12:38:30 »
yes indeed cooking less would be good, but i often get it wrong.  ??? :P

I freeze leftover rice. It's a problem if you keep it at room temperature, or possibly even in a fridge. Here's what the Food Standards Agency has to say :

It's true that you could get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. But it's not actually the reheating that's the problem – it's the way the rice has been stored before reheating.

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, bacteria that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive. Then, if the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will germinate into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea. Reheating the rice won't get rid of these toxins.

So, the longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that bacteria, or the toxins they produce, could stop the rice being safe to eat.

It's best to serve rice when it has just been cooked. If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour) and keep it in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating.

Remember that when you reheat any food, you should always check that it's piping hot all the way through, and avoid reheating more than once.

so...does freezing kill the bacteria spores? and whats the best way to reheat (i havent got a microwave) - boiling water or ...frying?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 12:51:40 »
None of the above.Get rid of it. :)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 12:57:13 »
I always freeze leftover rice.  It is left to go cool then put in a bag and put in the freezer.  Never had a problem.  I am of the same thinking as Rhubarb Thrasher regarding how it is stored before freezing. I am aware that careless handling of food can cause problems but I wonder if far too much food is wasted because we have been brainwashed into believing that anything we buy and/or cook has to be eaten there and then (or by its Best Before date) otherwise you will be ill.  I believe a little care in cooling and storing the food will keep you safe.  Mind you, I don't think I'd eat something that's been in the fridge a week after I'd cooked it (not that it would be there that long...... ::) ::) ::)   Wonder how my granny managed without a fridge all those years ago...??
twinkletoes

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 12:58:58 »
Sarah - I usually cook a little less rice next time I want some then just before it is ready, I put the frozen rice in - bring back to the boil, cook a minute more then wash and serve in usual way.
twinkletoes

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 13:06:16 »
the advice is probably more scarey than it need be. If you leave cooked rice at room temperature for a while, then bacteria may grow and produce toxic chemicals, and it doesn't matter how you reheat it, the chemicals will still be there, even if you kill the bacteria. If you cool rice quickly after it's cooked, then it doesn't matterif there are still spores there, because they won't grow into bacteria and won't produce toxins, so long as you heat it through thoroughly and quickly

I usually cook more rice than I need, especially to freeze it. It's somehow more well behaved than freshly cooked (loses the gloopyness you sometimes get)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 13:13:25 »
Don't any of you have dogs? Dogs love rice!!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 13:14:54 »
Why not just cook the amount you need than play Russian roulette?

Rhubarb,why would they give advice that is more scary than it need be.?

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 13:27:20 »
I just meant that the advice for the safe storage of cooked rice actually isn't much different from that for any cooked food, it's just that written in black and white it looks a bit worrying.
As Alexei Sayle said - "never buy a king prawn curry at a car boot sale"

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 13:27:43 »
Yes Trevor - my Millie has extra rice mixed in her food - you are right they love it.  She especially likes it with fish.
twinkletoes

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 14:12:12 »
If you have a reasonable quantity left try using it straight up to make a rice pudding. I use any type of rice for this. Add cooked rice, to milk, double cream, sugar, vanilla extract simmer until the liquid is absorbed. Can't give you the exact quantities, but I will say 50:50  cream to milk, sugar/vanilla to taste. Cooked rice will probably absorb the double the volume of liquid (I cup of cooked rice to 2 cups liquid). This really is lovely and a good excuse for a pudding as don't want to be saving the rice.  ;D

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 14:23:05 »

I usually cook more rice than I need, especially to freeze it. It's somehow more well behaved than freshly cooked (loses the gloopyness you sometimes get)

To reduce gloopyness, cook in water for two minutes less, drain, and transfer to the micro & cook for 2 mins.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 16:31:59 »
Actually Pesky Wabbit, I only cook rice in the microwave now. For me gloopy rice is usually down to overcooking, or not washing it enough first. If it's gloopy, I wash it with lots of cold water and reheat

has anyone noticed how varaible the quality of rice is now, and how the cooking time can be really different for the same stuff?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 16:36:29 »
No gloop for me! Rice in tub, boiling water on top to twice height of rice, microwave 9 mins, stir & serve.

newbies

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 16:38:53 »
Basmati rices are different.  Waitrose basmati is rubbish, but tesco basmati makes really nice rice. 

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 17:14:38 »
I watched a Delia programme years ago.

Re cooking Rice.

Only stir initially....then leave it alone.

Once strained,return to saucepan,place a clean tea towel over the top for a few mins.......No gloop.OFF the heat. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal