Author Topic: First fox poo outside the chicken run...  (Read 2599 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
First fox poo outside the chicken run...
« on: October 28, 2008, 12:33:28 »
There it was this morning, glistening in the morning dew... No free ranging for them when I'm not around then :(

betula

• Hectare
Re: First fox poo outside the chicken run...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 13:38:44 »
Strange request..............any chance of a photo,?I would like to be able to recognise it for when I get my chickens.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 13:47:16 »
It's already bagged & binned, B, to stop the scent... I'm sure there'll be more along before too long though!

One of the big give-aways is the variety of colours in fox poo - plus it tends to have a more tapered end than cat poo.

Yum!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 13:58:43 »
set up a webcam so you can watch from your computer 24/7  ??? ???
The Tuscan Beaneater

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 14:37:27 »
Great idea,If mine were at home I would probally do that,do not think I could do it from the lottie though??

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 16:18:08 »
Hi Denise

So far no return by the fox last night.  I am really scared now for my girls but I will get up there at the weekend and strengthen the wiring where it tried/got in last weekend.  Their house is pretty sturdy but if the fox comes during the day then they will all be out!

One woman I spoke to suggested using chicken wire on the roof as well as all round - I have got fairly light netting at the moment - but may have to put a wooden rail all the way round at the top and stick wire netting right the way over the top.  Bit of a pain really but may be necessary!

I always thought that fox poo - due to their diet of fresh meat - had darker smelly poo!  The one that visited my chickens didn't leave a calling card!

Old Bird
 :o

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 22:49:12 »

One woman I spoke to suggested using chicken wire on the roof as well as all round - I have got fairly light netting at the moment - but may have to put a wooden rail all the way round at the top and stick wire netting right the way over the top. 

I originally put netting over my cree but swapped it for chickenwire after the first winters snowfall. The netting kept weighing down and sometimes snapping under the weight when we had snow.  The chickenwire allows snowflakes to fall through. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 14:08:03 »
the chaps up at my allotment site say human urine around the coop puts Mr Fox off !!! ???

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 14:39:12 »
the chaps up at my allotment site say human urine around the coop puts Mr Fox off !!! ???

I also heard that human hair deters them also. You could ask your local hairdresser to keep some back for you. Place it around the cage suspended in old cut off tights.  ::)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 08:36:54 »
Make sure the coops secure Ollie because he will return.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal