Author Topic: any body got a chicube?  (Read 2536 times)

charlieout

• Not So New ...
any body got a chicube?
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:06:16 »
i've just got myself a chicube, only a small one but so far is working great. I wanted to know though if any one else had got one. They told me straw or shavings would be fine for inside but I wondered about shredded paper, what do you think?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: any body got a chicube?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 12:10:34 »
I haven't but have now googled & they look funky & very solid. Pricey though... We have an Eglu (pricey too!) but haven't had it for long.

How many girls have you got? Photo's please!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 13:03:07 »
The runs that go with these things all look very small to me.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 15:52:20 »
we use shredded paper under the straw in the nesting boxes  ;D

charlieout

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 17:16:38 »
i've got 3, but one's a rooster. they are silver spagled hamburgs. they are a bit flighty but thats quite good, means the dog doesn't pester them too much. no photos yet i'm sorry. yeah i thought that they were a bit expensive compared to some wooden ones but at least i don't think i'll have to get another one any time soon, and i really really hate painting!

the run seems fine to me but i do let them out quite alot as i'm around alot of the day, when i'm not the dog seems to do quite a good job of looking out for the fox. they did encourage me to let them out whenever i could. i was impressed with how strong the run seems, some others are quite flimsy.

that's quite a good idea about the paper and straw, i was finding that the straw was a bit messy and that the shavings worked better but i'll ry that. thanks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 17:21:17 »
sorry, charlieout, forgot to say welcome to the site  ;D

charlieout

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 17:26:14 »
thanks manicscousers. hello.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 18:09:58 »
Funny enough, a plot neighbour gave me the brochure for these today.  From the pictures they look a bit less funky than Eglus, more functional.

charlieout

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 19:10:23 »
i don't know, i liked it and it does look pretty cool, certainly different, but i suppose it's down to which you preffer. definately better than some of the wood ones out there though! let me know which one you get.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 19:14:11 »
It might be some time - I'd love to have a couple of chickens but it depends on whether I can get a second plot or not.  After reading all about the problems people have with mites, I don't think I'd ever have a wooden one!

charlieout

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 19:24:36 »
yeah, me too. really couldn't be bothered to keep painting and trying to kill them all the time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal