Author Topic: raspberries  (Read 2429 times)

ber77tie

• Half Acre
raspberries
« on: October 27, 2008, 21:35:31 »
I'm hoping to grow some raspberries next season.somebody suggested to me that there are varieties that fruit twice in a year, anybody know if these exist and if so are they any good?

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
Re: raspberries
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 23:54:55 »
There are varieties that fruit in the summer and other varieties that fruit in the autumn. Summer ones tend to get eaten by birds unless you net them.  Autumn ones don't, which is why I prefer them. There are lots of them fruiting right now.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 09:35:45 »
There are some that sometimes fruit twice but I'm afraid I can't remember what they are called. If no-one else comes up with an answer why not e-mail a supplier?

I think the type are primocanes, where you don't cut back all of them in the Autumn....??

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 11:48:03 »
Yup, you can get any of the primocanes to fruit twice - early summer & late summer up to the first frost. Just don't cut them back when you're told to. Having said this, I think mine are getting the full chop this year so I can remove some of the creeping buttercup & couch.

I'd suggest (in order):
Joan J
Autumn Bliss
Allgold (yellow Autumn Bliss)

I'd think about Polka & Brice too, but haven't tried them.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 12:28:35 »
I've just gone for Polka but haven't tried them.

bedrockdave

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 13:25:25 »
I agree with ollie c, joan j are very heavy croppers and tasty too and I never liked raspberries before having the lottie,

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 17:41:52 »
My Glen Moy fruits twice without any special treatment from me. It's only it's second year so I don't know what sort of quantities it will eventually produce from 10 canes. i also have Glen Clova, Autumn Bliss and polka.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 17:55:55 »
My Glen Moy fruits twice without any special treatment from me. It's only it's second year so I don't know what sort of quantities it will eventually produce from 10 canes. i also have Glen Clova, Autumn Bliss and polka.

How do the Bliss & Polka compare, Kea?

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 07:39:26 »
I have a variety from Ken Muir called Galante, fruits twice a year and doesn't need any pampering.

Website is kenmuir.co.uk

Raspberry 'Galante'*

Galante is the new giant raspberry that crops heavily twice a year! The fruits of Galante are nearly twice the size of other autumn fruiting raspberries (many are the size of a 50p coin) and can be picked from August right through to as late as December. As if that isn't enough, a second harvest of specially early fruit will be presented to you the following summer on the same canes that have borne the autumn crop. The taste is superb – the enormous succulent berries have a sweet, perfumed flavour and fleshy, peachy like texture.

Available late November - late March

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 12:48:34 »
I have a variety from Ken Muir called Galante, fruits twice a year and doesn't need any pampering.

Website is kenmuir.co.uk

Raspberry 'Galante'*

Galante is the new giant raspberry that crops heavily twice a year! The fruits of Galante are nearly twice the size of other autumn fruiting raspberries (many are the size of a 50p coin) and can be picked from August right through to as late as December. As if that isn't enough, a second harvest of specially early fruit will be presented to you the following summer on the same canes that have borne the autumn crop. The taste is superb – the enormous succulent berries have a sweet, perfumed flavour and fleshy, peachy like texture.

Available late November - late March

Sorry you'll have to wait till next year to get an answer on that, my Polka spent the summer heeled in after i had so much pain in my back I didn't get the ground clear enough (Blackberry bits, bindweed and nettle keep re-infitrating) before it was too late to plant them. I'm hoping I haven't lost them...some new canes appeared just don't know if I still have 10 left to plant. The polka did fruit a bit and it seemed very tasty perhaps nicer than the Autumn Bliss but it's a bit hard to tell yet. The Glen Moy has the nicest flavour of the 4 and it's fruits are twice the size.

What I don't know is whether I should trim off the tips of the Glen moy canes that fruited in the autumn(fruits on new canes in Autumn) which should fruit again in summer?

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 13:35:22 »
they are in lidl now for 2.49 you get 3 canes 1 large and 2 small 
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 17:27:26 »
Another vote for Joan J. They don't exactly fruit twice but they have a really heavy crop over such a long period it's even better. I'd recommend buying the canes from Marshalls, may be a bit more expensive but produce far better results.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal