Author Topic: Broad Beans  (Read 3222 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Broad Beans
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:51:19 »
Hi
Having had a real failure last year with the broad beans (aphids!!!) I’m going to sow some overwintering beans (aquadulce) and then another variety next spring. The thing I’m struggling to work out is what protection they will need. The packet just states protect them (fat lot of help!) but is this necessary and when? Basically I live in the SE and garden on clay (although the ground I’m using for the beans is much improved since last year with organic matter etc dug in). Do I cover them straight away or at the 1st signs of frost. And what should I cover them with?

Thanks for your help on this

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Broad Beans
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 11:14:17 »
I don't bother and I am in the wintry (far) East Midlands.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 11:22:06 »
thanks redclanger
 is the problem more of the beans getting too wet and rotting or is it the cold that kills?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 11:47:32 »
I have never protected mine (East Sussex) and have always had a good overwintered crop. I have found that if a hard frost or snow knocks them back, new shoots push up from the established root system, and these new shoots always outgrow the shoots of spring planted seeds.

Whether I sow them in autumn or spring, I always chit them first (damp cloth, plastic bag) as there are always a few that never germinate, and I prefer to find out which they are in advance, rather than have gaps.

Another thing I have noticed is that if I overuse manure and fertilisers in the autumn, or plant the seeds too early, the subsequent lush growth is more vulnerable to frost and snow, so treat them mean and maybe feed them in the spring.

Finally, the Oldest Allotmenteer here always earths up his autumn beans like potatoes (but not completely covering them) when they have grown enough, and he claims this protects the stems from frost. I don't really see why it should, as the stems still emerge from the earth, and where they emerge they are not protected, if you see what I mean. However, I have followed his practice because I believe the extra depth of soil gives increased protection to the root system.

I am very keen on broad beans.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 15:15:11 »
Right now I'm keen on the idea of broad beans...... ::)
But thanks Artichoke for the tips and info - I'll definitely chit them 1st, and as I'm also in East Sussex it looks like I can leave 'em to themselves over winter

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 15:26:16 »

Another thing I have noticed is that if I overuse manure and fertilisers in the autumn, or plant the seeds too early, the subsequent lush growth is more vulnerable to frost and snow, so treat them mean and maybe feed them in the spring.

I am very keen on broad beans.
That's good advice.  I'm sure mine developed chocolate spot - a really serious attack - this year partly because I overfed them with nitrogen. Planting them too close together may have been a factor too.
Keep Calm and Carry On

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 16:50:17 »
I forgot to say that the other problem that I believe comes from overfeeding them is that they eventually grow immensely tall but don't flower much, so not so many beans. I've only done it once.....

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 21:30:16 »
Everything depends on planting the right variety now. Aquadulce Claudia is the right one to go for. that being said, I lost quite a lot last winter. they were OK through till the end of February, then a lot of plants died during March. The other danger is that seed can rot in cold ground. Plant them in pots, and keep them under cover until they're 2-3 inches high, then they can't rot before they germinate. Then if we get another cold spring, it would be worth fleecing from February until it warms up.

I still got a good crop, but later crops of beans have been a complete flop.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 16:12:24 »
Thanks for the replies
Maybe I'll try some in the ground and some in pots and see which fair best? and thanks for the reminder about over feeding / too rich a soil.
I also think the trouble with my spring sown ones was the aphids got to them before I did, hence the plan to autumn sow, plus sow some summer savory in with the beans to see if that helps keeps the aphids away.
The challenge is on!!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 20:19:28 »
I always grow mine in modules (too many mice!): planted them out last week. And I'm on London clay in a bit of a frost pocket. The last two years have been brilliant, but we've had fairly mild & dry winters. It seems to be a combination of very cold & very wet that does for them. (Doesn't do me much good either!)

And I don't protect them with anything.

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 20:57:09 »
I always put broad beans in  about now and never (touch wood  have any trouble) I don`t bother to cover them or anything inthey go the Aqu-- whatever they are, if I do notice a few gaps then I just poke a few in the gaps. Last year got a black dustbin bag full form 5 rows of about 20ft.  Good Luck.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 08:41:50 »
I always put broad beans in  about now and never (touch wood  have any trouble) I don`t bother to cover them or anything inthey go the Aqu-- whatever they are, if I do notice a few gaps then I just poke a few in the gaps. Last year got a black dustbin bag full form 5 rows of about 20ft.  Good Luck.
That sounds like a bumper crop - well done! Won't have quite as many rows but hopeful of better results this year - 3rd time lucky?!

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 17:50:30 »
I too start mine off in modules and plant out when they are a few inches high, simply to keep the mice from eating them. I have never covered them (ignoring the well meaning advice from other plot holders) and after a frost or snow they do look very sorry for themselves. Have faith though because as soon as the weather starts to warm up they take off like anything.

By growing the overwintering variety you will be picking your crop before the aphid have time to take hold and if you pinch the tips out of the plants when they have reached the size you want they helps to keep them away.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 16:17:22 »
After my experience last spring I'd cover them if winter started dragging on. They were all alive at the beginning of February, and half of them were dead by the time it warmed up. But in a more normal year, I'd agree with you.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal