Author Topic: Yacon - did anyone else try?  (Read 1039 times)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Yacon - did anyone else try?
« on: October 26, 2008, 12:29:18 »
Did anyone else try growing yacon this year? I'm well pleased with the results but would like to hear others experience, yield, soil type etc.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: Yacon - did anyone else try?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 12:46:51 »
and i would like to hear your experiences as i am thinking of growing them next year :). does anyone know if they are ok for container growing?

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 12:04:16 »
I tried a couple..I had left them growing till the first frost to affect foliage ..This was this morning so I dug em out ...

I presume we eat the long ones and save the round ones to plant next year ..
Is that correct?   
Cheers .. Jim

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 02:18:52 »
I tried them for the first time this year as well. Dug them up just before the onset of the frost and snow and have to say that yields have been encouraging. Next year they will have to be planted in a specially prepared bed double dug as most of my tubers broke when lifting, not that it matters too much. Not yet had time to sit down and eat them but an earlier nibble a few weeks ago from a small root was agreeable in taste.

Pity the flowers are both late arriving and uninspiring as the foliage justifies this plants position in a decorative border or flower garden.

I've still got one growing in a pot in the polytunnel for comparison that is not yet tipped out. If they perform well in large pots this would lead to far more economical use of space on the plot.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal