Author Topic: Winter Bird Watching, what have you seen today?  (Read 44551 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: Winter Bird Watching, what have you seen today?
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2008, 20:02:31 »
A couple of new visitors this morning, not seen them this winter until today,  2 Red Legged Partridges.  They must have been hungry with the fields frozen.  First time I have seen them eating off the ground feeding table. 

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2008, 21:20:12 »
We've had a thrush visiting recently but the blackbirds keep chasing it away. Also a siskin yesterday & today.
Janet,

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2008, 23:33:43 »
Surprise of today was a group of long tailed tits called why I was filling the feeders and one landed on the feeder despite me being there.  They don't seem to be afraid of humans. wow, made my day.   ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2008, 00:16:09 »
yes i have noticed they are the only birds that will stay in the tree if i suddenly enter the garden. last winter i also noticed the redpolls also seemed pretty fearless, but i haven't seen them yet this year :(.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2008, 09:41:58 »
Any ideas what I could put in a pot to attract the birds to my patio?  I bought a feeder and they don't go to that I bought peanuts and they don't go to that and yesterday I bought some fat balls but they have nothing I can hang them up with ::)

I would love to see some birds here anything but pigeons would be fine.  I have seen the pied wagtail and that's all.

Sinbad

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2008, 10:31:46 »
Any ideas what I could put in a pot to attract the birds to my patio?  I bought a feeder and they don't go to that I bought peanuts and they don't go to that and yesterday I bought some fat balls but they have nothing I can hang them up with ::)

I would love to see some birds here anything but pigeons would be fine.  I have seen the pied wagtail and that's all.

Sinbad

what about an evergreen shrub like holly but not grown as a standard ???

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2008, 11:21:57 »
Hi Sinbad,

if you put your fatballs on a plantpot tray the groundfeeding birds may come and peck at it on your patio. 

Also something that could act as a birdbath - a seedtray or something.  We have the top half of an old concrete birdbath that just sits on the patio and the birds love it.  They need to bath to keep their feathers in good condition. 

Also the most popular birdfood here by a long way is sunflower seeds so you might find it worth getting some to attract the birds.  Also the birds like to feed in the open so they can see predators coming eg cats!  They need to feel safe.

Good luck

T.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2008, 13:07:03 »
Sunflower hearts in a feeder are by far the most popular food source in my patch. Any that drop to the floor are immediately eaten by a wide range of birds. Then probably a good quality mixed bird seed (no wheat) scattered on he ground. Whole peanut in a feeder are regularly taken by blue, great and coal tits. Breadcrumbs scattered on the lawn eaten by a wide range of birds. Niger(Nyger) seeds ignored by goldfinches but very popular with siskins and red polls when they arrive. Whole black sunflower seeds mostly taken by coal tits and any that drop to the ground are rarely picked up so quite a lot of waste. Homemade fat balls are a demolished very quickly by starlings
I get about 19 different bird species at various times in the day at present but this will increase to 25-30 as winter advances.   

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2008, 17:06:57 »
Many thanks for your replies.

I put a fat ball on a pot saucer with some cut up peanuts and bird seed and saw Mr Crow eating the peanuts today, so hoping this is a start ;D  Well it's better than the pigeons, I hope.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2008, 13:47:00 »
A huge grey heron landed next to my pond this morning. I've seen a few in the area but never in my own garden before. Fortunately there are a few fish left!

Sorry about the pathetic pictures.

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]
Keep Calm and Carry On

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2008, 14:05:59 »
Bloomin' cheek eh?  Poor thing must be hungry though...   hope it didn't get any of your fish.  Did you hide behind the curtain to take that pic.  Thats the only way I can take a pic of a Heron, they spook so easily.  Well done.

;D

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2008, 14:15:13 »
Bloomin' cheek eh?  Poor thing must be hungry though...   hope it didn't get any of your fish.  Did you hide behind the curtain to take that pic.  Thats the only way I can take a pic of a Heron, they spook so easily.  Well done.

;D

Thanks Carol.  I took the pictures through the french window.  As soon as I opened the door the heron flew away, pursued by magpies, and I wasn't quick enough to photograph it in flight.
Keep Calm and Carry On

nippie

• Acre
« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2008, 16:15:48 »
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g261/nippie1/001-1-1.jpg[/img]]

Here is the sparrow hawk that visits our garden occasionally. The garden is always devoid of birds for about an hour after his visits, he obviously frightens them away.
He would not turn around so I only have his back view!!!
Friendship isn't a big thing.
Its a million little things.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2008, 16:37:19 »
I've had such fun today! There are quite a few blackbirds around and they have been feeding on the worms in an open bag of horse manure, tossing the manure onto the path (which I then have to sweep up >:( )while they get at the worms .. SO....I moved three bags into the middle of a plot I wanted manured....and waited :P  Sure enough they've been working for their supper all day 8) ;D

Thrushes are enjoying the broken up suet blocks, etc. I put onto straw in hanging baskets. Pleased about that.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2008, 18:15:35 »
Saw a couple of Wrens, they usually stay out of sight.
 :)

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2008, 19:40:46 »
i'm sure it was a Lapwing . dont often see one of those. Saw a coulpe of the pesky ring necked green parrots that infest our site,a couple of great tits and the usual assortment of blackbirds and sparrows.Also got to go 'boo' to the pigeons.

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #136 on: December 15, 2008, 20:40:44 »

cheeky lad nicking the little uns feed.

that pole is falling over

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #137 on: December 15, 2008, 21:08:48 »
Handsome chappie like that, Carol, I'd forgive him :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2008, 18:48:01 »
I saw a magpie flying along with twigs in its beak. Strange thing to be doing in a cold December; I'm sure its not nesting time!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2008, 18:59:04 »
Around mid-day there were over 40 crows on the roof of the block of flats over the road. They were there for about ten minutes then flew off in small groups.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal