Author Topic: the ultimate beginner  (Read 4955 times)

izzywizz

• Not So New ...
Re: the ultimate beginner
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 16:20:21 »
Hi we took our plots on this time last year.Your photo is familiar to all of us.Take heart once you get started it's amazing how the challenge takes over and you get things done.Looking back now we've forgotten the hard work and are enjoying the whole experience.Just remember it's supposed to be fun and a chore.And reember a failure is a learning experience not a set back. :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 16:37:16 »
don't listen to jeannine, she's a seedaholic, along with lots of people on here  ;D
nickys seeds is a good on line company  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 19:47:57 »
I get a lot from Plants of Distinction (often called POD round here) at http://www.plantsofdistinction.co.uk/

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 20:32:08 »
The only way to get rid if those weeds and grass is good old fashioned digging. Covering it over winter will do some good but the persistent roots will just come back . And with your new plot, being enthusiastic means starting now, not waiting a year whilst it is covered.

So that you see some benefits straight away, plant things as you clear the ground. Autumn onions and garlic can go in now as can overwintering broad beans. Loads of god seed catalogues already mentioned but I also like Marshalls and The Organic Gardening Catalogue, both available on line.

Good luck and enjoy!

martinrowe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 21:10:49 »
Welcome to the board.

We get most of our seeds from http://www.thompson-morgan.com/ with a high germination rate.

Your plot looks like it needs a bit of TLC.  I would go with the other suggestions and trim what you can and then cover.

A plan of what you would like to grow and times of growing and havesting would be useful to give you a useful schedule and a guide.

oakmore2

• Half Acre
  • Rabbit surveillance officer
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 22:01:18 »
Welcome to A4A!

I took on my plot this summer, and am loving it! as others on here know I had my first full meal from my plot last week - and was VERY excited!

My plot was chest high with nettles and oter weeds when I took it on. I went for a strim, dig, then cover approach. I've then been able to work small areas at a time and get stuff planted whilst I work on another area. For me that was really important to keep my motivation going through all of the hard work.

Good luck with it and enjoy!

;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 22:47:19 »
Welcome to A4A!

I took on my plot this summer, and am loving it! as others on here know I had my first full meal from my plot last week - and was VERY excited!

My plot was chest high with nettles and oter weeds when I took it on. I went for a strim, dig, then cover approach. I've then been able to work small areas at a time and get stuff planted whilst I work on another area. For me that was really important to keep my motivation going through all of the hard work.

Good luck with it and enjoy!

;D

What a lovely, inspirational post.  I don't have an allotment so I can't add any words of wisdom but what more could you need than encouragement like this?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 23:09:37 »
i forgot to say welcome to the site!it wont be long until you see real progress,honest!we took ours on 15 months ago,the blackberries were so tall they were over our heads,and covered more than half the plot,so thick we had to saw through the swines.but now we have a haven where all troubles are forgotten and we eat entirely from our land,veg and fruit wise anyway.if you get a fraction of the joy we get from our plot,youll be a very happy man!good luck!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 07:45:09 »
simmo116,

welcome. There is lots of useful material on the net. Here for starters are links to the web sites of some of the contributors on A4A ...

Eristic - particularly good on clearing and first year cultivation ...

http://downtheplot.com/

realfood ...

http://www.growyourown.info/

Tee Gee ...

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/

Sunningdale Allotments - see the new to allotment and approaches pages ...

http://www.sunningdaleallotments.org.uk/

You will find other useful sites here among contributors and obviously elsewhere on the wider net.

Good luck

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 13:29:58 »
well just got back from the allotmentand can see i have my work cut out.

Looking at that, two words sping to mind, well, four to be exact but the first two I won't mention. Second two are "Round" and "Up".

Welcome by the way.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 20:04:17 »
im getting exited now i've orderd some seeds. carrots,onions,beetroot,and some others i forget. brought my fork "n" spade. and got black polythene down from loft(knew it would come in handy) and hiring brush strimmer on friday just hope the weather gets better.spklitting strimmer cost with neibouer so keeping costs down
plan is to strim whole plot back and mark out and dig over a couple of rows and maybe get some onion sets in before crimbo. and just cover the lot in plastic cut out light and maybe keep a bit of warmth in.
ive come across some old scaffolding planks for my raised beds and hopefully have a 50 gallon water butt coming F.O.C!!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2008, 12:06:47 »
Excellent.....things are moving fast for you.

:D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2008, 12:36:39 »
Welcome simmo116 - you have found the best forum.....    By the way, I don't mind being referee when you organise the 5-aside!  ::) ;D  Also, beware of the clicker-syndrome/disease!   You'll look at the seed websites and not be able to resist clicking on "buy now"......you have been warned!  ::) ::) ;D
twinkletoes

simmo116

• Acre
Re: the ultimate beginner/more photos
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 18:14:26 »
had the day off! so i made a start. picked up the strimmer got to the plot strimmed 2 feet then the end fell off! great. missus dropped me off so no transport. i ring the hire company and they send me another one out. the driver gives it a test run and the end fell off! but the third one oh what can i say it was brill took me a little over an hour to clear the plot. wish i had had some ear plugs tho.noisy bugger it was.

even mannaged to get a bit dug!
planning to get the rest dug over the weekend. im not going to plant anything yet going to wait till the new year when hopefully i have all my raised beds made. i was suprised how easy it was to dig. the soil was realy easy to work. may have to get some more plastic though i dont think ill have enough to cover whole plot.  ;D

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 18:17:35 »
Wow - well done Simmo116, looks like you've had a great day!  Any chance you can do mine?? One year on and I'm still strimming lol!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 18:30:35 by posie »
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 18:22:11 »
You got loads done,well done.

Nice plot :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 18:49:23 »
made me laugh out loud..third time lucky  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2008, 19:14:32 »
Blimey Simmo you did well, looks like a great bit of soil, but my eyes are playing up,  ???  I thought I read your going to dig the rest at the weekend.   :o  Theres no need to cover if you dig it all up and it wouldn't hurt to get some onions and garlic in raised beds or not, don't kill yourself doing too much, a bit at a time and get the missus to buy plenty of radox.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 19:31:26 »
You look as if your dressed up for nucler fallout more than a few weeds :)

I bet yo sat with a smug grin on your face all night after getting that done, I know I did. Well done.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 19:36:27 »
  :o :o. Super duper, I'm very impressed. Take it easy though. You have plentyyyyyyyyyyyy of time before the ground is needed for planting. No point breaking your back getting it done.  8)

Well done, loving the update pics  ;D

Lauren
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal