Author Topic: the ultimate beginner  (Read 4957 times)

simmo116

• Acre
the ultimate beginner
« on: October 25, 2008, 19:31:46 »
hello to every one I'm new . i got a phone call this afternoon from my local allotment Secretary saying i now have a half plot!!!!! great only been waiting two months. but now I'm caking myself where do i start. what do i do.? Ive tried growing the odd runner beans in the garden and maybe a few toms in a grow bag but that's about all of my growing experience. i applied for the allotment for a number of reasons to get some fresh air,grow some nice cheap food and mainly to spend more time as a family. somewhere where me the missus and two kids can all muck in together. this is your cue to go (aarrgghhh)lol
but back to business where do i start. the plot is bound to be overgrown how do i go about clearing the plot? personally i was just going to strim down to the earth then rotovate it. is this acceptable Ive heard conflicting stories. then i was going to dig in some muck and cover with black plastic until ready to sow. oh when do i sow.. i said i was a beggin-er.i would like to keep things nice and neat so was looking at segregating areas for different veg's with reclaimed timber. I'm a big fan of using things i havent had to spend money on. at first id like to start with growing just the staples like spuds carrots beans and the like until i get the swing of things and then can get a bit more ambitious. were off to find out wich plot we have tomorow im all exited feel like a bloody kid. well any help guys and gals would be very gratefully appreciated. T.A.B

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: the ultimate beginner
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 19:47:10 »
ARGH...................but not about the missus-----the ROTOVATOR :o :o :o

If its covered in couch grass............do not rotovate. It will make it much harder to get rid of. Couch grows from any little bit of root, and you will be chopping it up.........lots of little plantlets. Not good.

First strim then you can cover the area with black polythene, weighted down very well. To exclude light, and leave down over winter, in spring you can plant through through plastic either potatoes or brassicas. It will also act as a soil warmer and weed suppressant for the first season.

When you lift the plastic at the end of next summer (or whenever ) you will find a few roots, but most will have died. The ones you do find will be easier to dig out.

OR..........you can dig over the whole plot and pull the roots out as you go. Then again in spring and through summer------yawn

Me? I always go for the first option ;D ;D ;D ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 19:55:35 »
thanx for a speedy reply. so your advise is to just strim then cover then plant thru plastic. would a dense netting work ast to let moisture thru bot not let weed up? was thinkig of the kind they put round scaffolding???

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 19:58:38 »
saying that,im not covering this year,as its a hazard to wildlife,and its good to let the frost get in to the soil. good luck with your plot,sounds like you really have got a good idea of whats to come!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

star

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 20:05:57 »
thanx for a speedy reply. so your advise is to just strim then cover then plant thru plastic. would a dense netting work ast to let moisture thru bot not let weed up? was thinkig of the kind they put round scaffolding???

Even dense netting would let some light through. Its the light you want to exclude to kill the weeds.

BTW, welcome to the forum ;D, I forgot to say in my first post ;)

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 20:09:22 »
I'm leaning more to the side of timber raised beds as to keep things nice and neat and more manageable. can get some condemed scafold planks for nowt. do i just add compost and horse poo... what would you suggest?
ill take some pics tomorow and will post later.

star

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 20:27:09 »
Raised beds are the best way to go, I agree. I would still cover the couch or dig it out though.

You can dig in your manure if you like or leave it on top and the worms will pull it down for you. Whatever rocks your boat really. Everyone has their own little ways, I just do what I find easiest for me ticker to cope with ;)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 20:32:50 »
hiya, simmo116, welcome to the site  ;D
when we took our plot on, we dug out the big weeds, strimmed the rest, built the bed,  laid down very thick cardboard them covered it in well rotted muck, then weed control, black plastic or even(whispers) carpet  ;D
by the year after, the weeds had died, the soil was ready to plant into and any weeds were easier to get out .
we marked out where the beds were going to be, that way we walked on the paths, not the beds, the paths were permanently covered with the card, etc
good luck, whichever way you go, have a look at some galleries on here, there are lots of good ideas  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 21:40:36 »
Welcome to the madhouse Simmo, no to rotavater, strim and cover most of it, but leave some to dig out now, thats all the grass and weeds and get some wintering onions and garlic in fast, if your getting manure make sure its well rotted but don't mix it in the beds your putting your roots in carrots, parsnips etc.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 21:54:33 »
dig a n initial trench then upend top surface in trench working backwards.if that makes sense?
cover with an old tarpaulin or similar and leave for the winter,try to do the other jobs when weather and time allow
build a composter
erect some shelter
talk to other lotties on your site
and enjoy !!
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 22:32:50 »
Welcome to the site ;)

As i was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago the main advise i could give is.

1. Take a before picture and post it on here.

2. Measure your plot and draw it to scale, then work out where to have your beds, shed and compost heaps (i did it the hard way and started digging in places that are now paths).

3. create/build a compost heap and start recycling all the waste you have at home including paper/carboard. This can be building up while you clear your plot and some of the waste can go on too.

4. Get chatting to other plot holders and don't be affraid to ask for seeds from their access plants, if the're going to bin them anyway then you might as well make use of them and you might get lucky like i did and get fruit bushes.

5. Mark out the paths. This way everyone walks on the paths and not where you have dug or going to dig (and you can see if the path layout works for you).

6. Don't wait until you have built your raised beds before you start to dig, get digging/clearing straight away.

7. Take your time and do one bed at a time, give the kids a bucket each and have a competition who can clear the most weeds. Cover the rest of the beds with plastic so it will be killing of the weeds. I can't coment on what to get the misses to do as mine does not help ;D.

Take lots of photo's and most of all enjoy spending the time with your family and learning.

Neil

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 22:55:56 »
Welcome to the site...  ;D

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 08:18:35 »
Welcome to the site - don't forget the coffee!  And when the coffee breaks get longer and more frequent............it's time for a hot bath  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 09:59:24 »
thank guys for some great advise will be taking a lot on board. to nilly 71 that is exactly as i had in mind. bit of an obsessive compulsive im afraid. im off later to see what plot ive been allocated. but first off to get the wellies!!!  :D was talking to a guy up our local club last night. he said he will give me some runner bean seeds so that would be good. bring on the good life.....

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 10:15:01 »
Good luck..........enjoy :)

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 14:07:18 »
well just got back from the allotmentand can see i have my work cut out. it is a half plot  around 100 square meters so i should have enough ground to get me started. my new neighbours are are just like me ha vent got a clue but with tons of enthusiasm.now got to sort out tools maybe hire a strimmer for next week end weather permitting.  no luck on the wellie front for the missus... can anyone suggest some good/reliable seed merchants? i hope the weather is OK next week i cant wait to get stuck in.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 14:12:57 »
wow, job and a half  ;D
wellies are in b&q, 10.00
we have a seed swap thread on here, have a look..also, we had a discussion, recently, about seeds, maybe a search would find it
happy digging  ;D
forgot, also, have a look in bargains galore, there are ideas for where to get seeds in there  :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 14:15:55 by manicscousers »

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 14:22:56 »
Strim it down and start your own 5 a side tournament.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 14:38:22 »
Welcome, you have come to the right place, there are loads of great psters here very happy to share knowledge. You won't be a beginner for long.

You have had good advice on how to clear so mine is to..get a shed.. get a stove and get a kettle!!

All the sese catalogues are coming out now so look on lkine , send a message and you will be swamped. for starters there are

Suttons
Dobies
Thompson and Morgan
Kings
DT Brown
Mr Fotherongills
Seeds by size

Come on you UKers help me out here with the local ones.

I also buy from the US

Baker Creek. (rareseeds.com) is my favourite
Tomatogrowerssupply
Johnny's
Territorial

The above 4 have a great online shop with tons of info so it is a great read.They are in the US.

Now is a good time to order spuds online..try Romans

Have fun.. and welcome again.

If in doubt ..ask, we all know the good and the bad.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 15:02:01 »
If you're looking for interesting and/or organic stuff, these people are supposed to be very good.

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/index.html
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal