Author Topic: The Gurkas  (Read 6382 times)

torquil

• Quarter Acre
Re: The Gurkas
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2009, 11:13:04 »
just to  say big thanks to Tim done it

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2009, 12:10:31 »
Signed up too

OllieC - not sure I see your point 'cos it is about politics.  All those points made are valid and not racist.  I am happy to welcome those who can (or have made) a contribution to this country and those who flee from persecution for protection but not spongers, terrorists or illegal immigrants.

It is time the government listened to the feelings of it's people.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2009, 12:56:20 »
You can't contribute to hysteria about immigration & then complain when the government does it's best to keep the figures down. Most immigrants are not terrorists, spongers or whatever, they're people just like you or me or anyone else on here, trying to get a better life, and they deserve to be treated with respect. They are also net contributors to the economy. I'd let them all in, and send some of our career doleys out to where the immigrants come from.

But as I've already said, this is the wrong place to discuss it - the politics begin with the people I quoted above... which is a shame!

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2009, 14:57:28 »
Still don't get what you are saying but that's the way it is.  Note I said illegal immigrants

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2009, 17:31:44 »

Done.
      june.

impkin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2009, 21:59:17 »
done that!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2009, 17:47:21 »
Great news that commonsense has taken place in the commons today, can't wait to see old fish face Gordy sucking his cheek getting out of this one, ;D

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2009, 18:24:41 »
Good debate and great result in the Commons today. Makes a change to see backbenchers of all parties taking a principled stand.
Keep Calm and Carry On

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2009, 18:48:51 »
Absolutely brilliant news! All credit to the Lib Dems for bothering to stand up for what's right!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2009, 19:33:20 »
Must agree I think Nick Clegg was very good,

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2009, 19:54:56 »
Yes, Clegg and the Lib Dems certainly deserve a lot of credit.
Keep Calm and Carry On

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2009, 20:27:59 »
heard the news on P.M. R4, Woo Woo!! some real democracy in action!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2009, 21:06:28 »
This government does seem to pick on the soft targets when it comes to immigration.

Does anyone remember dialysis patient Ama Sumani who was thrown out of the UK to die last year despite being a student and no bother to anyone? In the same newspaper, there was also a story about terrorist Abu Qatada stringing out his deportation order on medical grounds. He could obviously afford  better lawyers.

And they wonder why the vile BNP are taking their votes.....

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2009, 22:13:44 »
Fantastic. Lets not forget Joanna Lumley. Sterling Job :-*

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2009, 20:07:48 »
I have just watched JL in front of the Home affairs select committee on the Gurkha issue and what a star she is, from a personal point of view I embarrassed  to be an Englishman in the way we are treating these proud fighters, :)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2009, 08:39:28 »
How long is it since Ronnie Biggs "came home to die"?
Janet

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2009, 22:50:37 »
Tim, and all, haven't been on here at much recently due to law finals year but have supported the Gurkha campaign all the way. My husband is former commanding officer and I have ultimate respect for the Gurkha regiments and what they have done for this country.

I am humbly amazed by the success of the campaign but equally infuriated by the government's squirmingly reprehensible backtracking on what it says it is going to do.

The nature of democracy demands that the government should be accountable to the people who elected it, yet what to we see here but backtracking?

It took Joanna Lumley to finally stick the Immigration Minister on the proverbial pin (like an insect). How apt. Let's see some real justice now for the Gurkhas.

And Tim, bless you, if my husband is away he puts the service Kukri under my bed (but I would rely on the dog and other security first!!) Never, never throw it away. I know you wouldn't.

Love

CLx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal