Author Topic: So what have you done this year and what's your plans for next year  (Read 7120 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: So what have you done this year and what's your plans for next year
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2008, 22:00:14 »
I've just got hold of a large old cold frame which needs glazing, which will add some possibilities for next year. I salvaged some glass as well, but it's wired, and I don't think it's going to be feasible to cut it.

That's a bit cryptic, Robert.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2008, 22:31:14 »
hee hee Robert i was talking about encouraging wildlife, hee hee  :D.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 14:35:20 »
I really like Deb's insect hotel and want to try that. All I've got at present is a few old bamboo canes tied with string. I'll also be developing the bog garden that I've started near the pond, plus a dry gravel garden that I started this year.  I've planted a wildlife hedge, which is doing well, and the log pile is rotting down nicely so I'm hoping for a lot more wildlife next year.

The priority on the allotment is to repair the dilapidated greenhouse so it's fully in operation and also to create a small wildlife meadow in the orchard at the rear of the plot. I'll be growing lots more aquadulce, peas and different varieties of french beans and giving up runner beans next year. I tried several varieties of runner beans this year and they were all stringier and less tasty than the french ones. I was surprised how good the carrots, parsnips and beetroot crops were this year, on my heavy clay soil, so I'll be growing a lot more of those and having another go at sweet potatoes (pathetic crop this year).

That enough (Ed.).
Keep Calm and Carry On

thifasmom

• Hectare
some of us had great plans for wildlife projects this year, thought i would post a link which has some cool easy ideas downloads concerning this topic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/breathingplaces/downloads/

as i complete my own projects i'll post the pictures here and share them with you all.

have a great day everyone, Thifasmom.

thifasmom

• Hectare
Started last weekend on the mini meadow area;

this is what it looked like late winter which i weeded sometime in February

with the soil warming up i noticed no new annual seedlings were coming up so last weekend with the girls help we loosened the surface with rakes to make it more friable.

then we mixed a collection of saved, swap donated and freebie seeds from the BBC and a little grass seed as well with some compost then sieved it onto the surface. We netted the area against birds and cats and gave the area a good watering.

so now its the waiting game, i have noticed a lot of ant activity during these last few warm days, i do hope they haven't run off with our seeds :-X.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
 Growing....I have done nothing but dream and envy you all... but I will be back in Canada in 3 1/2 weeks so I will be trying hard to catch you all up. Probably in a few pots ubtil we are settled again but I have to grow.

Next year..oh boy,,space permitting... everything..my beloved squash  and toms collections of course and   well we will wait and see.

Wildlife.. oh ah... I shall be encouraging the racoons to come to may back door, again ditto the humming birds and blue jays.. watching the coyotes from my balcony I hope  and putting up homes for the Mason bees and bats.

No badgers though..

Have fun here,

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 22:06:06 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

thifasmom

• Hectare
yes i know the mini meadow looks like a weedy patch again but this time its 'weeds' i want ;). had to stop my mum from weeding it out last weekend she thought i hadn't done anything as yet ::).

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
I have sown teasels for the goldfinches. I didn't need to though, because there was a wild one that has sown itself. I just didn't know what a teasel seedling looks like...........but now I do!

Otherwise, I am increasing the piles of old branches under my hedges. It creates a nice damp, cool spot for the toads. The toads are doing their job too, I have almost no slugs  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal