Author Topic: greek basil cuttings  (Read 7298 times)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
greek basil cuttings
« on: October 23, 2008, 11:08:46 »
Hi everyone i was given four cuttings from a basil plant that the Greeks grow and use, not the wishy washy ones they sell in the UK. my neighbour took a few sprigs while on holiday back in July. he grew them on successfully and kindly passed some cuttings on to me.

the leaves are smaller but more pungent with a lovely flavour. my neighbour and i don't believe they are frost hardy, but he is leaving one plant out to over winter in a sheltered spot, one in the kitchen and one in the unheated greenhouse to test them out. i was given the cuttings late in the season so I'll be overwintering my four young plants in the kitchen and the conservatory.

when i potted up my cuttings about three weeks ago i was able to turn 4 into 8, so i potted up 4 and put the 4 fresh cuttings to root, which they do extremely easily in a jar of water.

so here i have 4 cuttings to give away, i would like to give them 1 per person unless there is less interest.

I'll post them from next Monday to save them from spending the weekend in the postal system.

here is a pic.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: greek basil cuttings
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 11:18:21 »
could I please have one, I have cuttings of all sorts of herbs, if you'd like an exchange  ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 11:20:50 »
sure manicscousers, have you got any low growing/ creeping rosemarys. thats one gone guys :).

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 11:25:09 »
no, the only low growing ones I have are chamomile (for tea) and thymes, odinary and another one, I can't remember and won't be at the plot 'til the weekend, can let you know then  :)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 11:35:22 »
Could I have one please?  I never seem to have enough basil on the go.  From the pictures, they look like they might be in the mint family?  I don't have any creeping rosemary, is there anything else you need?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 11:47:37 »
I've been growing this particular Basil for a number of years from seed.  It makes lovely little balls about 20cm high and is highly aromatic.  It certainly isn't frost hardy so good luck with your cuttings. 

I just wanted to say that I've got trailing Rosemary so if you want a 'heel' I'd be happy to send you one although I usually take cuttings in July.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 12:00:08 »
no, the only low growing ones I have are chamomile (for tea) and thymes, odinary and another one, I can't remember and won't be at the plot 'til the weekend, can let you know then  :)

have you got flowering chamomile if yes i would be happy to have a piece please :).

Could I have one please?  I never seem to have enough basil on the go.  From the pictures, they look like they might be in the mint family?  I don't have any creeping rosemary, is there anything else you need?

that's the second one gone to you Ceres, you don't really need to swap but I'm always on the look out for more herbs for my herb patch, what have you got?

I've been growing this particular Basil for a number of years from seed.  It makes lovely little balls about 20cm high and is highly aromatic.  It certainly isn't frost hardy so good luck with your cuttings. 

I just wanted to say that I've got trailing Rosemary so if you want a 'heel' I'd be happy to send you one although I usually take cuttings in July.

G x

I'll let my neighbour know that they are definitely not frost hardy, his plants have grown into lovely mounds. Where do you over-winter your plants?

and I'll be happy to have a heel of your creeping rosemary please, thanks.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 12:19:20 »
that's the second one gone to you Ceres, you don't really need to swap but I'm always on the look out for more herbs for my herb patch, what have you got?[/color]

How about seeds of Basil Purple Ruffles?  Does what it says on the packet - purple and rufffled!  It's actually very pretty and has a mild aniseedy taste.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 12:20:17 »
that's the second one gone to you Ceres, you don't really need to swap but I'm always on the look out for more herbs for my herb patch, what have you got?[/color]

How about seeds of Basil Purple Ruffles?  Does what it says on the packet - purple and rufffled!  It's actually very pretty and has a mild aniseedy taste.

nope i got that one thanks  :)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 12:22:32 »
Chamomile Roman seeds?

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 12:24:39 »
Chamomile Roman seeds?

yep!!  :)

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 13:08:01 »
Ooh, I would like one - but I've been the recipient of so much generosity in seed swaps lately, it feels rather greedy. Perhaps I could cadge a cutting from someone next spring when these ones have established a bit? :)

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 13:17:40 »
By the way, don't have much in the way of herbs but I do have aniseed; 2 types, both bought for culinary use so I don't know how they'll do - one Indian, one Spanish - the seeds look good so I'm optimistic. If that's of interest to anyone.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 14:17:17 »
Ooh, I would like one - but I've been the recipient of so much generosity in seed swaps lately, it feels rather greedy. Perhaps I could cadge a cutting from someone next spring when these ones have established a bit? :)

your welcome to have one :). swap not really needed.

ok everyone only one left.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 14:33:00 »
If its still available TM, I would love to take it off your hands.

I dont have much in the way of herbs to swop though.

Have pm'd you anyway hun ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 16:24:04 »

[/quote]
I'll let my neighbour know that they are definitely not frost hardy, his plants have grown into lovely mounds. Where do you over-winter your plants?

and I'll be happy to have a heel of your creeping rosemary please, thanks.
[/quote]

I don't over-winter my plants I grow them fresh from seed every year.  I'll sort out a few Rosemary heels for your tomorrow if you can PM your details.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 16:28:40 »
If its still available TM, I would love to take it off your hands.

I dont have much in the way of herbs to swop though.

Have pm'd you anyway hun ;)

the last one is yours Star.

ok addresses please from:
  • hellohelenhere
  • ceres
  • Star

I've got your manicscousers.

I don't over-winter my plants I grow them fresh from seed every year.  I'll sort out a few Rosemary heels for your tomorrow if you can PM your details.   :)

G x

i'll drop you line, thanks G  :).

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 00:49:59 »
Thank you, thifasmom! Sending you a PM. :)
x H

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 10:29:23 »
Ceres I've got everyone address except your, don't forget to PM me with it, so i can send it for you first thing Monday morning.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 14:45:35 »
okey dokey they have all been posted 1st class so should arrive tomorrow, don't forget to put in some water straight away so they can catch themselves before potting up.

Ceres i got the Chamomile Roman seeds seeds thank you  :-*

Star the Summer Savoury seedlings arrived safe and sound thank you  :-*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal