Author Topic: freezing bananas  (Read 1793 times)

sarah

• Hectare
freezing bananas
« on: October 14, 2008, 17:30:50 »
well i thought my mother in law was mad when i saw her popping some overripe bananas in her freezer but she said "no, try it - they can be whizzed up later with some yogurt and any other fruit you have that needs using and you will get a lovely ice cold smoothy with no need to put fattening ice cream in it."

so i tried it and she is quite right. its delicious and uber healthy.  so dont throw away those bananas - pop them in the freezer.  ;)

littlebabybird

• Hectare
Re: freezing bananas
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 17:33:33 »
sarah
just smoosh them up as icecream and
if you make anything like banana loaf/ muffins etc use frozen ones then as well
lbb

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 17:41:09 »
mmmm good thinking lbb. i am really getting into using my chest freezer and am amazed what you can freeze really. nothing goes to waste in my house now.  :)

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 17:47:50 »
it means i can make banana loaf when i want to, instead of when the kids havent eaten the bananas
lbb

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 18:05:18 »
I think the "you can't freeze bananas" view dates back to the 50's when freezers were a lot less efficient.  Certainly my Mum subscribes to it.  They do go brown quite quickly once they come out of the freezer (the bananas, not Mums)

I peel and chop bananas then freeze the pieces. Thrown into a liquidizer with a couple of ice cubes, sugar, rum , milk, lime juice and yoghourt - hey presto the milk shake equivalent of  banana daiquiri and thick enough to stand a straw in

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 21:59:51 »
I just freeze mine in their skins.

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 22:04:51 »
Barnowl - like your receipe - I'll be trying that soon as I always seem to throw away the last one of the bunch evey week.

Solorn

• Quarter Acre
  • The Worlds Only 6ft Gnome
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 18:37:52 »
You could try drying them in the oven or microwave. There are loads of recipes out there for that. You can still use them for cakes if they are dried, just soak them in a little apple juice first to plump up.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal