Author Topic: Who do they think they are kidding.  (Read 6211 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Who do they think they are kidding.
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 15:24:05 »
The Halifax man... really gets on my nerves.

Another per hate is when the broadacasters are reading the teleprompt in front of them, they finish before the words so they slow down and say .. one..word..at.. a ..time..till..they..catch..up!!That drives me crazy.

The fat guy who does the bank advert..he works for me.. I would never use the bank this one advertises.

Does anyone else make a point of not buying something if the ad is irrating or crude?

and  why.. do sex or toilet jokes have to creep into absolutely everything..even baby food.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 15:53:06 »
they most certainly do up the volume when the ads come on......

On most modern tellies there is a menu that gives you the option of equalising the sound. That way if any advert decides to up the volume, the telly will bring it back down to the pre-set level automatically.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 16:56:51 »
I HATE all the adverts for banks that turn into a Busby Berkley song and dance routine with thousands of people dancing in the street ESPECIALLY with that moon faced bloke with the jam jar glasses or the big woman. They've gone away for a bit but they'll be back.
I reallyt HATE the one with the 3d cartoon of the woman with that Ah ah ah-ah ah-ah-ah-ah singing. "For the journey". Every time i watch it it makes me think about DEATH
I HATE all the ads where elderly or otherwise RESPECTABLE people suddenly break out in youth-type behaviour INCLUDING Terry Wogan BREAKDANCING
I HATED that advert for COFFEE where some woman set aside time for herself every morning to have a cup of coffee but what she really liked doing was popping open the foil, and sometimes she'd pop open the foil on a new jar when the old one wasn't empty. DO THEY THINK WE@RE STUPID. Ditto popping the top off PRINGLE TUBES. Are they supposed to be some kind of PHALLIC symbol like in the Dairy flake adverts??
EVERY ADVERT that's ever been on CLASSIC FM< ESPECIALLY the ones for financial services where some woman comes on at the end and speaks in a ROBOTIC VOICE so you'll STOP LISTENING when she says they might REPOSSESS YOUR HOUSE. NO I DON'T want to take the ALL BRAN CHALLENGE with WILLIAM SHATNER, and I WILL NOT be buying "THE ONLY CLASSICS ALBUM YOU'LL EVER NEED 2" because i bought THE ONLY CLASSICS ALBUM YOU'll EVER NEED"

there was more but i've lost me thread..........the TRIXIEBELLE pill must have worn off

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 17:03:46 »
ooh Roo be careful, you might meed to listen to the Bupa ads if you are not careful.XX Jeannine

By the way, beer bottle Halifax is still on and so his his rather large headed oriental friend, but the fat lady is still away.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 17:20:51 »
Halifax is way ahead at the moment. I can't stand it either.

I do try and make a point of not buying anything that has an annoying advert.

We were looking around the ford showroom last weekend.(great place for free coffee) The saleman said have a look at the new model, my wife said no thankyou, but if you ever get rid of that stupid advert that has someone singing an annoying  pinging noise, we might be interested. The look on the salesmans face was classic.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 18:12:30 »

and  why.. do sex or toilet jokes have to creep into absolutely everything..even baby food.

XX Jeannine

OH, someone else has noticed this too..........DRIVES ME CRAZY  >:(
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 19:00:19 »
I love the adverts, it is the programmes in between that don't do much for me  ;D

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 21:31:09 »
My new telly has got the advert volume control feature.

Fantastic, I'm not jumping out of my skin every time the adverts come on.
I tend to listen to the tv whilst using my laptop.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 21:39:29 »
Phillips have patented a recorder that stops people skipping the adverts on recorded and live programmes. The idea is that (perhaps) in the future premium subscribers to some tv service will be able to skip the ads, but the free or bog standard users will have to watch them

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/18/philips-patent-app-would-force-you-to-watch-commercials-both-li/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 21:43:05 »
That is a terrible gadget, I am glad I have just cancelled my TV license.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 21:50:08 »
edit : i broke the habit of a lifetime and actually read the link. Philips said their patent application was to do the opposite, with the option for people to switch ON the ad watching option if they wanted. Street of Retired Chinese Snake Charmers. I mean - A Road of Old Cobras

martinrowe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 22:14:02 »
I think adverts for nappies should be banned, expecially if they are going to show a baby having it ass cheack being kissed.  If that was Garry Glitter in the advert, it would be a different outcome.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 22:47:32 »
HI!
I'M BARRY SCOTT!

If only Cilit was the name of a gun...
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 09:05:20 »
Any advert that advertises another programme on BBC. They are getting more and more. We pay a licence to be free of adverts. The worse is the blatant plugging of a dancing programme which is always being plugged on the morning news. FFS News is supposed to be news not trivial entertainment. Who the hell wants to watch an old codger in a syrup going on about a load of 'paid' celebs competing in what must be the daftest competition ever.

That old codger is going to do an Arthur Askey, is he never going to stop boring us. Why won't he retire and let some fresh faces take over.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2008, 18:56:53 »
I like BF .He is a proper entertainer ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 18:59:41 »
For me he is the original DOM .. and no, I don't mean a Dominican friar! ;D

But I love watching the dancing!! So there! :P

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2008, 21:23:43 »
We ALWAYS mute every set of ads. Is it me or are the ads louder than the actual programmes still...?

When the boys are home, they laugh at us for rushing to mute the TV  ::)

The dynamic range on adverts is reduced (or compressed as we call it here in jolly old tellyland) but the average level is increased so that all audio is at the same level throughout the clip, so rather than speech going up and down in volume as it does in real life it all comes out Bl**dy loud. This way the ofcom rules of commercials audio level versus programme audio level are stuck to but the end result is still f'ing annoying and you have to turn the telly down.

Dunno what the purpose of this is, apart from to annoy.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 21:27:02 by jonny211 »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2008, 21:33:26 »

Dunno what the purpose of this is, apart from to annoy.

It does annoy, so why don't we all refuse to buy anything that does that.

But if you really need annoying how about the daft s0ds in phones4u. One company I would never use, even if they were the last on earth.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2008, 13:48:07 »
That is a terrible gadget, I am glad I have just cancelled my TV license.
If all the channels were funded by the licence fee (I know it would be impossibly expensive) then there would be no adverts.  Remember this when licence fee and BBC knocking!
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal