Author Topic: Tree Lilies  (Read 3400 times)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Tree Lilies
« on: October 20, 2008, 17:37:10 »
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
Re: Tree Lilies
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 18:01:28 »
I grew some this year and they flowered beautifully without effort on my part.  They need a well drained soil and you need to watch out for the dreaded "red devils", as for any lilies.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 20:46:36 »
Are they scented?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 22:36:14 »
That was my next question! I wonder if they're just a particularly tall growing variety of lily.
Lesson for life:

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 22:40:16 »
That was my next question! I wonder if they're just a particularly tall growing variety of lily.

Ah well, you know what they say about great minds (and fools of course).  ;)  I can't say I believe the claims but I'm prepared to be proved wrong.   8)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 23:02:37 »
you need to watch out for the dreaded "red devils", as for any lilies

Someone once told me to use that Bug Gun stuff for roses on lilies to stop the lilybeetle. I was a bit wary of spraying it about in case it damaged other plants so I dug them up in the autumn, brought them indoors and sprayed the bulbs before replanting. I must say the red devils were noticable by their absence the following year.
Lesson for life:

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 12:06:52 »
Although they look similar and I vaguely recalled the name, I am now wondering whether these are in fact what I have grown. Lots of senior moments these days!  Mine are Asiatic lilies. have grown quite tall, have large trumpet flowers and are perfumed.  However, there is nothing answering the description "tree lily" in  the plant encyclopaedia and RHS certainly don't recognise the term. T & M are almost certainly using poetic licence for marketing purposes and it is bad practice on their part not to use latin names and variety names. They are probably Asiatic hybrids imported from Holland that grow particularly tall and develop a shrubby appearance over time.
Keep Calm and Carry On

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 00:20:02 »
hopefully this is the pic from the email

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 11:03:18 »
T & M are almost certainly using poetic licence for marketing purposes and it is bad practice on their part not to use latin names and variety names. They are probably Asiatic hybrids imported from Holland that grow particularly tall and develop a shrubby appearance over time.

I suspect you are right there, Hopalong.  Still, if they are scented it's rather tempting... ;D

G x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal