Author Topic: Can rabbits & guinea-pigs be housed together??  (Read 2036 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Can rabbits & guinea-pigs be housed together??
« on: October 05, 2008, 12:25:41 »
We have 2 rabbits and 2 guinea pigs at home in separate hutches.  My wife believes one is too small so wants a large double hutch for them to live in, together. 

Before I try and build one when I get home,  can they be housed together or do they have to be housed separately.  (Any photos or deigns of a hutch large enough for this also appreciated. :-\ ::) :-\)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

debster

• Hectare
Re: Can rabbits & guinea-pigs be housed together??
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 13:44:46 »
now there was a topic on this on another forum i belong to and the answer was no im trying to find a link as soon as i can i will ok

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 14:08:34 »
We kept the rabbit and gp together hen my kids were little and they were fine, however they were both female and shared the hutch from day 1. I think they can be a bit territorial so it might not work if they've had separate accommodation before.

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 08:45:59 »
Hi KT,

It really dipends on their personalities, some rabbits can be aggressive to newbies yet others fine.

We kept female guinea's with a female rabbit but haven't tried keeping males together...

Only thing I remember was we were advised to feed them all g.pig diet!

I think it would be best to start of by trying them all together out in a run (Supervised) and see if there are any signs of aggression.

Best of luck,

Isleworth
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 08:47:53 by Isleworth »

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 10:18:26 »
The guinea pigs can get squashed by the rabbits when the rabbits do what rabbits are famous for.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:22:40 by dtw »

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 10:30:01 »
Simple answer is NO !
They are two different speices and have different feed requirements to start with !
I run a guinea pig rescue and bred, showed and judged rabbits for 15 years and i have seen so many injured guinea pigs who suffer badly and its mainly broken backs !
Rabbits love nothing better than having a mad 5 mins and dont care what gets in their way ! Guinea pigs are quite creatures who love eating and cuddling up together in groups.
Food wise, gps make and store no vit c and must have a large amount of fresh fruit and veggies ! Rabbits do not have this trouble and need hard pellets and hay with some vegetables, put a rabbit and a gp in a run, the rabbit thinks whoooopie and runs riot and the gp thinks foooooooooood ! lol
Also gps are prone to mites which rabbits are not but they can transfer them to the rabbits causing problems !
Never keep a gp alone !!! its cruel they love company i have  70 + piggies and not one alone !
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:32:49 by flowerofshona2007 »

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 11:02:47 »
Thanks for the replies.  The guinea pigs can stay in their current hutch as it is more than adequate.  I guess I only have to build one a little larger for the rabbits.  (Must be a woman thing cos' I dont see anything wrong with the rabbits current hutch. 8))
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

DebbieP

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 09:44:47 »
Depends on the size of each I guess?  We used to have a rabbit and a guinea pig and they were fine - then we had 2 guinea pigs together and they hated each other and fought so much we had to seperate them!!

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 22:12:14 »
male rabbits are highly sexed and will sh*g anything from stuffed toys to guinea pigs and this can kill the wee pigs through exhaustion.(they are not designed to have a rabbit on top of them) :'(
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal