Author Topic: FIREWORKS !!!!!  (Read 3420 times)

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
FIREWORKS !!!!!
« on: October 20, 2008, 17:05:43 »
I am getting increasing worried about firework night, well it now becomes firework fortnight round here!  This will be the first firework night that I have had hens, what do I do with them?

I am sure that those of you who keep hens on the allotments will carry on as normal, but mine are at the bottom of the garden, whilst this will be ok with the general fireworks, we do usually have a biggish family gathering here, with yes, you've guessed it - fireworks at the bottom of the garden !!  The hens would be right next to them and am sure that they will need to be moved for at least this night, but what do I do with them? Shall i put them in a box cardboard or similar in the garage? or will this be too stressfull? any suggestions would be helpful
You always love your children more than they love you...

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: FIREWORKS !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 19:23:08 »
I am lucky as mine are at the allotment so never had to look at this issue.  Noise will frighten and startle them.   A box in the garage for the duration of your own firework display should be fine. Once the display is over then put them back.  I don't think they will like being kept in there all night so put them back in their home as soon as the display is finished.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 19:28:28 »
My poor dogs are terrified of the b****y things.

As you say they go on and on ,night after night.

People used to let them off for a few hours on bonfire night.

I think they should only have official displays now.God help the poor animals. >:(

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 20:59:16 »
I agree with Betula,
My two dogs are so upset over fireworks its a job to keep them calm.
My hens go off lay, and there in the bottom of the garden, they dont like the noise.
How about taking your large family to a big firework show and give some money to charity.
A hen can get stressed out and have a heart attack, so please think twice about having it in your garden.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 21:11:50 »
Well I know nothing about livestock, but I do know that Bach Flower remedies - the Rescue Remedy helps to calm my dogs down.  Obviously check with your vet first though.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 21:25:51 »
If it was just one night I would not mind using some form of sedation,not several nights though.

What I find scary is the power and huge noise level of modern fireworks.
I also hate it when kids are running round the streets with these explosives.

I feel really strongly about this and I wish it was made illegal to use them privately.

I do not object to organised displays.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 22:09:15 »
I agree Betula, there should be one night and one night only. Not a d**n free-for-all weeks on end like it can be here. >:(
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 22:43:49 »
I agree with Star one night only. My King Charles is so terrified that she jumps on the back of the sofa and tries to claw through the wall. She has medication but I turn the music on as loud as possible to try and blanket the noise. In fact for a couple of days either side of the 5th I put her in kennels, Fortunately the kennels are down a country road with no near neighbours. As it happens this year I am going to Kent for 2 weeks so she will be in the kennels.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 00:34:53 »
im worried about our new kitty this year.we normally all go to the local display,then back here for a family knees up (with nowt but a few sparklers) but reckon we gonna stay in with the cat this year,id be too worried to leave her.mind you,as others have said,by then there will have been so many fireworks going off in the area,we will have a pretty good idea whether they are gonna freak her out,or not. mind you,a few went off last night at 1.30 am (jeeez)and she slept thru em,unlike us! i think if i had chooks at home,id be tempted to have the fireworks at someone elses home,save the worry and agro of moving them,would they not hear the bangs anyway,from the garage?you could still have the frivolities at your place afterwards,or better still,after the public display,if you have one close by?
bless you lorna for having to use kennels at your own expense every year! x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 07:07:01 »
We all go through the same feelings every year don't we - poor animals don't understand......   This year I am trying a Calming Collar on Millie (shes a rough coated JR).  My friend has a JR, who is a real sweetie with the most charming character.  He used to be fearless but in the last year or so he has become very wary and sensitive to loud noises.  If he is out for a walk (we live in a semi rural area and therefore have the usual rural noises) and hears any loud bangs, he will freeze and make a dive back to the car and become a shivering wreck for hours.  However, my friend found an American website that produces collars for dogs to combat fear and anxiety. They are very simple and are just material collars filled with herbs but they actually work.  If Jonah is out (or even indoors) and there is a loud noise that upsets him, Jan will just clip the collar on him and in about 15 minutes he is relaxed, stops shivering and often snoozy.  I have ordered one for Millie with firework night in mind - they are not cheap but if they work without having to resort to drugs..........  If you want to look at the website and make your own mind up - the site name/address is:   http://calmingcollars.com
twinkletoes

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 08:05:01 »
This is one worry I dont have with my Cavalier KC spaniel. We had her on NOv 4th 5 years ago.

I was worried abot how she would respond to the fireworks, but she never bats an eyelid. Often, she sleeps in the conservatory, right by the window. This doesnt stop when fireworks are going off, and they dont even wake her.

There is noting wrong with her hearing, but she is very lazy, so probably cant be bothered to react ::) I agree though, that fireworks should be restricted to one night for the sake of aminals that are scared.

My cousin lives in Nice and he says that his dog is scared, made worse by the fact that they seem to have an excuse for fireworks every weekend!

Can we ban trick or treat while we are at it >:(

cj :)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 12:06:56 »
My old Collie Benjy was totally terrified of fireworks and thunder!  We have an annual display on the seafront and with that in mind went to the vets to get the tranquilisers for him and I was told to give him two an hour before the display was to start.  I thought that as I was quite a long way from the action I would only give him one and then I went out to watch the display myself!

When I returned I found the dog in a frantic heap in the bath!  The tranquilisers had not taken much effect and he was wide eyed and terrified.  His idea of a safe place was in the car - which is actually fairly clever in safety terms of thunder!  My other old dog, a lurcher, used to love fireworks and would want to go out and watch them!

The following day the dog was completely knocked out as the tranquiliser took hold and he was wobbly for the day after as well!.   Luckily both my two new dogs don't mind.  They tend to bark a bit - but neither of them appear frightened. 

Apparently the trick with dogs that are frightened is to ignore their fear and if you cuddle them and tell them "don't worry" they will take it that there is actually something to worry about  because you are fussing over them and they knew it and then the anxiety escalates!  Reverse psychology!

Old Bird
 ;D

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 12:25:12 »
Living 2/3Rd's of the way up a steep sided valley, depending on the weather conditions, some fire works sound like d**n rocket launchers. Fireworks started here last weekend and will continue now for what seems like weeks.......When I lived in Canada you had to have a licence to let them off on private land.

Each August we have an airshow that takes place down on the sea front, Red Arrows etc. Two years ago some irresponsible people decided to let of mega fireworks as the Arrows were passing. OMG......the consequences could have been dire.

I say.......Fireworks should only be allowed at organized events.
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 12:41:38 »
Lauren S - I AGREE WITH YOU.  Funny how our H&S brigade go into hiding at this time of year when the sale of fireworks to kids starts.  You would have thought they would be out with banners and everything to try and get the sale of fireworks to the public stopped because of H&S grounds.  We used to have fireworks in our back garden when I was a child but there is no resemblance between the fireworks you were able to buy then and now - the ones now are more like WMD. 
I have my trusty Calming Collar at the ready for Millie.
twinkletoes

waitingforland

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 21:36:24 »
I agree with everyone else who thinks fireworks should be banned except at public events.

The fireworks started here last week and we have nightly bangs and flashes which are terrifying for most of my dogs. Strangely the 2 that live out (big Akita's) love to sit in thier run and watch them, they get a real good view of the public display 2 roads away!
The house dogs are a different story, they bark, pant and whine every night. We have plug-in D.A.P diffusers which do help, but still the constant bangs set them off barking.  >:( One night a year would be acceptable, but as it is we have at least 4 weeks of the d**n things!
 A couple of nights ago at 2.15am there was such a huge bang right outside, the bedroom lit up and the windows rattled, i leaped out of bed thinking that a bomb had gone off.
Someday soon i hope to have some land of my own!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal