Author Topic: Pumpkin  (Read 1766 times)

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
Pumpkin
« on: October 23, 2008, 11:48:00 »
Hi,

No doubt me and the kiddies will be making a pumkin face this year for halloween just wondering if there is anything i can do with the flesh? Be a same to waste it!

Any ideas?

Lucy

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
Re: Pumpkin
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 20:25:21 »
no-one  :'( lol

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 21:03:23 »
soup, makes a good base, or pumpkin pie, recipe on here, somewhere, I'm sure there was a discussion on here before  :)
just remembered, we roast the pumpkin, onion , garlic etc for soup, with oil and flavourings, brings out the flavour  ;D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 21:10:30 by manicscousers »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 21:05:32 »
from black forest dan
more traditional and has a deeper flavour with pumpkin, but you can also use courgettes if you've been a bit too successful and don't know what to do with them all - enjoy!

Pastry:
100g soft margarine
175g plain flour, sifted
15ml water

Filling:
500g pumpkin or courgette (finished weight)
2 beaten eggs
100g caster sugar
60ml milk
pinch ground nutmeg
pinch ground ginger
10ml (2 tsp) ground cinnamon

Method:
Remove skin and seeds from pumpkin or courgettes, cut into 1 inch cubes. Steam for 15 minutes until tender. Drain thoroughly and mash well with a fork or puree in a blender.

To make the pastry, place the margarine, 30g of the flour and the water in a mixing bowl. Cream it together with a fork for half a minute until well mixed. Then mix in the remaining flour gradually to make a fairly soft dough, using the blade of a knife to mix. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured board and line a 20-24cm deep flan dish. Trim and decorate the edges. Chill the pastry in the fridge while you make the filling.

Beat the eggs with the sugar in a bowl; add the pumpkin/courgette puree, milk and spices. Blend well and pour into the pastry case.

Bake in a hot oven (220°C) for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to moderate (180°C) and bake for a further 30 minutes or until the filling is set.

Serve warm with cream, or it's also delicious cold from the fridge.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 21:06:57 »
mmm i might give that a try

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 21:12:53 »
Thanks manicscousers

That recipe sounds lovley will definatly be giving it a try.
 ;D

lucy

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 21:44:39 »
Is this what you need?  A pumpkin & squash recipe book for £1:

http://www.kingsseeds.com/kolist/1/9/49015.htm
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 23:02:01 »
I always make soup with my little fellas.

I dont do measurements, just chuck it in, but its fab, believe me and the boys can not wait for pumpkin soup time  :P

Boil up a light stock, maybe chicken stock, or boil your water and chuck in some leeks or onions,a pinch of salt, add your pumkin, a touch of nutmeg, cook till pumpkin is soft, then you can sieve it but I just run it through the smoothie maker, serve hot with a blob of creme fraise and you will have some very happy customers  ;D

Keep it simple and that way you dont destroy the flavour of the pumpkin which is such a unique taste.
Just delicious  :-*

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 20:27:28 »
Hi  ;D

ktlawson: -That book looks great i really want to try squash too but wouldnt even know where to start as there is so many! So just what i need thankyou.

honeybee: - Another great idea my kids love soup so well worth a try  :D

Thanks lucy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal