Author Topic: new compost "box"  (Read 1717 times)

pjb

• Quarter Acre
new compost "box"
« on: October 03, 2008, 08:35:01 »
I want to build a large compost"box" this winter, I have access to some large wooden pallets so I'll use them (well they are free!), my question's are: Once made should I line the "box" with something rather than have the holes in the sides and should I just stand it on open soil to let the worms in or do you seal the bottom as well?

Thanks.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: new compost "box"
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 08:55:24 »
stuff the sides with straw or cardboard as insulation, open at the bottom for worms and bacteria, waterproof cover to keep heat in, something like this will work....[attachment=1] ;)
You couldn't make it up!

pjb

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 08:58:44 »
That's great, thanks. Let building begin  ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 09:48:15 »
you could also try lining the sides with a weed suppressant fabric if you have some lying around.

zaz283

• Quarter Acre
  • Life's just too short
    • Allotment Heaven
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 08:30:30 »
Hi pjb... I used old carpets cut to size. If you contact your local independent carpet fitter he'll probably be happy for you to take some old carpet off his hands for nothing.
We can wish & we can wish
But we can never have
What once seemed ours forever

http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Helofadigger

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 08:12:20 »
Here's one Bob knocked up a couple of months ago from pallets and weed membrane total cost nothing! Hel.xxx.
One little smile can brighten up the darkest day!

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 22:28:11 »
nice work bob...another job for the winter my bin is in the wrong place must get it into the sun
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 23:34:27 »
Sun or shade don't matter if you get a good mix going. The heat comes from inside.

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 22:18:09 »
so what am i doing wrong? i have a bin made of pallets plenty of air circulation covered with black plastic sheet,and still no heat?
every layer added is mixed with scrunched up newspaper and comfrey leaves

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 22:37:16 »
so what am i doing wrong? i have a bin made of pallets plenty of air circulation covered with black plastic sheet,and still no heat?
every layer added is mixed with scrunched up newspaper and comfrey leaves

What are you putting in your compost bin, Steve, apart from the newspaper? 
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 01:02:30 »
You might have too much air, my bins have 1/2" gap between slats so most heat is retained. Could be too wet or too dry, generally a good mix of stuff sorts itself out in this regard. Do you turn it? You don't have to but it speeds things up no end if you do, and normally kicks off the heating up process. Might be too much paper, I only put quantities of it in to mix with grass cuttings. Peeing in it will help also.
  Lots of factors but honestly being in the shade shouldn't matter. I just wouldn't want to site it on waterlogged ground

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 21:06:40 »
i turn it ,pee when no one is looking still never gets steaming,i can remember my dads actually smoking??

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 12:26:52 »
You probably don't fill it up fast enough. It doesn't matter though, it still rots.

Bean_Queen

• Half Acre
  • growfruitandveg
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 09:06:46 »
i turn it ,pee when no one is looking still never gets steaming,i can remember my dads actually smoking??

A Hot Heap needs to be big, and have a really good mix of stuff, and be added all at once to really get cooking.  (we have piles of grass clippings delivered in the summer: they get smoking after a couple of days)

Cold Heaps work too, they just take longer.  Turning it will speed it up, if need be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal