Author Topic: sweetcorn + rats = nothing  (Read 1873 times)

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
sweetcorn + rats = nothing
« on: October 05, 2008, 13:50:53 »
anyone lost there sweetcorn to the rats? as i did managed to save 6 ears from 30+ the little gits.

The 6 i saved was down to this which i will share with you good old 2ltr pop bottles with the bottom cut off & then slid over the ears :D.
Whith a little luck this winter & into nxt year we wont have a rat problem as we have all put in to a pot and got some bait, the war is on.
today i will be growin veg!!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: sweetcorn + rats = nothing
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 18:38:09 »
Sorry to hear about your sweetcorn, but don,t become complacent and think you wont ever have a rat problem because you will. I bet you wish you had saved all your pop bottles and 2Lt milk bottles now. Still plenty of time to collect them for next season, at least you now know that the bottle method works, unfortunately at the expense of your corn.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Bryan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 18:46:29 »
Hi all,
I won't blame the rats for the loss of my sweetcorn.
As i approached the allotment site, the other week and parked on my plots, a swarm of parakeets arose from the cluster of sweetcorn i had growing.
This happened last year. I pickd 16 cobs and had 42 left to be picked later, but returned the next day, up went the parakeets and all my sweetcorn had gone.
Didn't worry too much this year though, they were also helping themselves to everyones sunflowers.
I will be netting off what i grow next year.
Bryan.
Don't worry about tomorrow, or yesterday, just think about today.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 19:06:01 »
Bryan, why go to all that trouble when you can use 2Lt milk bottles or pop bottles.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 17:48:49 »
I used 1 litre tonic bottles and when we went up today the bl***y squirrels had got most of them off. I finished up with about 30 cobs. We ate 6 for our lunch. Wilkies incredible. Will definitely grow them again. 2 full sized cobs to the plant. During the winter I am going to bodge some holes in the bottom of the bottles and put some string on them or use netting. Its such a waste of time and energy to grow them for the sqirrels. Have just finished blanching them and got them in the freezer. Do you have to cook them from frozen like other veg or do you thaw them.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 20:53:29 »
sweetcorn + rats = fat, satisfied rats. You could always eat them.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal