Author Topic: New (old) Greenhouse - reglazing  (Read 8377 times)

sunflower76

• Not So New ...
New (old) Greenhouse - reglazing
« on: August 31, 2008, 13:28:42 »
I'm lucky enough to have been given a greenhouse frame which I've erected on my plot. I now need to glaze it as unfortunately, it didn't come with any glass, except for that in the door and window opener.

I've already got one greenhouse (yes I know I'm greedy!) which the local scallies smash panes in every now and again. Because of this I'm thinking that I'd be better off going for polycarb instead of glass but I have no idea where to go to get it. Of course I could do an internet search but I expect that there is someone here who has already done it and knows all the secrets!

I am thinking of growing either a grape vine or a kiwi in it if this makes any difference to whether I should use glass / polcarb / something else entirely.

Any help appreciated.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: New (old) Greenhouse - reglazing
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 13:52:48 »
Hi Sunflower,

the chap in the plot next to mine fell into his greenhouse earlier this year(he wasnt injured thank goodness) and obviously needed to replace the glass....only he used polycarbonate sheeting instead....he got his from B&Q

PS,look at the top of the page,there is an advert for cheap polycarbonate sheeting.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Kingfisher

• Half Acre
  • My Allotment
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 23:34:31 »
I'm lucky enough to have been given a greenhouse frame which I've erected on my plot. I now need to glaze it as unfortunately, it didn't come with any glass, except for that in the door and window opener.

I've already got one greenhouse (yes I know I'm greedy!) which the local scallies smash panes in every now and again. Because of this I'm thinking that I'd be better off going for polycarb instead of glass but I have no idea where to go to get it. Of course I could do an internet search but I expect that there is someone here who has already done it and knows all the secrets!

I am thinking of growing either a grape vine or a kiwi in it if this makes any difference to whether I should use glass / polcarb / something else entirely.

Any help appreciated.

Hi you could try plastic sheeting from wicks it comes in a very large sheet and it only cost a fiver and it is strong too, hope this helps, Jan

Looby Loo

• Half Acre
    • Louise Jayne photography
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 10:52:18 »
I managed to relieve a skip of a load of plastic sheeting with the idea that I could sew it into a sort of tent for my greenhouse (which has no glass).  My OH thinks I'm mad, but I can't see how it would differ that much to a poly tunnel or a mini plastic green house

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 11:50:51 »
If the metal dividers on the inside of your greenhouse have grooves or channels you can get little green twisty things that are used to hold in bubble wrap. I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell you what the little green thingies are called  ::)

Good luck  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 12:24:30 »
How about greenhouse clips Lauren and they come in shiny silver too!!

You can get polycarbonate roofing from builders merchants and the internet.  It isn't very cheap but is a good alternative to glass as it has natural shading abilities - the only downside is that it shades all year even when you need maximum light - but I  have never heard major complaints about it.

Sewing plastic is not a feasible idea - as when it becomes windy every stitch hole will have a the cover ripping off - I think!

Old Bird
 ;)

martinrowe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 12:44:34 »
I had an order of polycarbonate delivered yesturday, as the plastic I was using on the greenhouse was too thin and flexible, so it would not stay in place.

I purchased them from http://www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk/cgi-bin/site-editor.pl/14/-ecommerce?action=item;item=CRX24X48%2d5;eid=572918;pid=71744.  They let a lot of light through although they a white colour, so I hope they are better than the thin stuff I purchased from B&Q.

portsmouth30

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 12:38:41 »
Don't use the plastic glazing packs from B&Q, fitted one in the spring with diffculty and have had to replace 4 panels this morning! Stick to glass if you can

KMARKSnr

• Quarter Acre
  • I`m not "young enough" to know everything !
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 10:27:03 »
hi all,sunflower,
       I have a homemade polycarbonate greenhouse on the allotment,- and three traditional glass ones.
        Believe it or not,but four tomato plants are still alive in the polycarbonate one.(just mind you)With toms on them. ;D
       In summer the poly one offers shade also,and stays the cooler.
       The polycarb is break resistant too.

Regards,
                         Mark.
i`m not "young enough" to know everything !

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal