Author Topic: Slug-resistant Hostas  (Read 21910 times)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Slug-resistant Hostas
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2009, 22:29:45 »
Found them!

Tokudama is way behind, just beginning to unfurl the first leaves.  Invincible has a tiny bit of nibbling but it actually looks like they taste it then leave it alone.  Big Daddy is untouched.  Not too bad so far!

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2009, 17:05:11 »
Looking good, Ceres.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2009, 08:47:02 »
Im trying coffee grounds around mine this year

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2009, 18:37:06 »
Im trying coffee grounds around mine this year

I've never found barrier methods very effective but I wish you luck with your trial.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2009, 16:46:47 »
I think copper bands are the best. Tried copper based sticky tape a couple of years ago for pots and at least 2 pots are still fully protected by it. Recently bought some actual copper bands to go around 'at risk' plants, not just hostas and these look very promising, of a little more expensive than other methods. You could make your own rings or bands using the tape and recycled plastic from drinks bottles if you want to save a bit of money.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2009, 22:55:50 »
Okay, here's an update on mine.  G x

Big Daddy

Tokudama

Invincible

They are all in 10 inch pots.  Very little sign of slug/snail damage on any of them but invincible is looking pretty pathetic compared to the other two.

G x

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2009, 10:42:33 »
Can I ask how your hostas are doing? Mine have been well and truly munched this year, partly due to me me forgetting to go slug and snail hunting, so I'd be interested to see how "resistant" they are

Thanks

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2009, 15:47:10 »
mine have been well and truely sluged, all 3 did come through in the end but invincible was pathetic and is now gone , the fat slugs loved it, big daddy did ok and i will get some more of him, the other one grew ok and has some holes
lbb

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2009, 15:51:24 »
Thanks LBB, I'll look out for some Big Daddy then. Shame about the others ...

Heartysoup

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2009, 17:13:14 »
I've got a few different varieties of Hosta, including Big Daddy. I've had them for about 10 yrs and have become something of a reluctant expert on how to keep the slugs and snails off !

I've tried: egg shells, coffee grindings, dog hair, vermiculite, sand, hort grit, copper bands, pellets under saucers, traps and sheep's wool pellets. In my garden (in which slugs and snails arrive by the coachload) the best course of action has been: Start early, as soon as the shoots start to emerge and after rain I cover the area with a liberal sprinkling of sheeps wool pellets and put a copper band around the lot. As the sheep wool expands in the rain it forms a mat keeping moisture in and the slugs don't like it one bit, it's not worth them struggling over the copper to get to !  But by far the best way of at least keeping the numbers down is to go out at night after rain and hand pick them off, on a good night you'll need a bucket. Frogs are very helpful, but just don't have big enough appetites, between us we keep the Hostas from turning to lace until at least the second half of summer.

Having done battle with the molluscs for years and frightened my neighbours when dressed in pyjamas with a torch and a bucket of slugs, I've decided enough is enough and the Hosta collection is going to have to go.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2009, 20:47:32 »
Since I moved mine to the really shady area (read slug/snail mansions) I'm afraid mine haven't faired so well.  Invincible is down to about one leaf and Tokudama has been seriously eaten too.  That said, both Tokudama and Big Daddy have sent up attractive flower stalks.  Big Daddy is fairing by far the best with only the odd small hole. 

I deliberately didn't use any deterrants to test their resistance.  So my conclusion is that only Big Daddy is really 'resistant' but I'm sure with intervention Tokudama would fair well too.  I wouldn't give 'Invincible' house room again.

G x

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2009, 07:20:10 »
Georgie thanks for your reply, so it does seem like Big Daddy can withstand attack ..... with a bit of care.

I've decided enough is enough and the Hosta collection is going to have to go.

What a shame, but I can understand it, all that effort and time!

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2009, 07:43:27 »
Had a look at mine yesterday....... They are all damage free !! 

Strangely enough, none of my other Hostas have been touched either. I havent used any protection against slugs this year and they are all planted in a long raised bed. The only difference this year is we have been doing some hardscaping and maybe the slugs havent realised there is a feast there yet !!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal