Author Topic: Slug-resistant Hostas  (Read 21903 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Slug-resistant Hostas
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2008, 15:55:21 »
Leave the crown at ground level; the stems will rot down soon enough. Put it somewhere shady; in the hot summer a couple of years ago, I found that hostas sailed through anywhere shady, but any in full sun were killed off.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 16:03:42 »
Thanks folks.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2008, 16:34:57 »
Just potted mine up too.

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2008, 18:23:41 »
You just reminded me that  I hadnt sent away for the same Free 3 hostas from GW magazine. Been on and done it now, but they are not being sent out till February.

Good luck with them !   :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 20:09:44 »
Oooo, we'll be able to compare notes, Ceres and Hosta.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 10:03:44 »
We bought a hosta called 'June' from the Garden House last year that was sold as slug resistant. And last summer it wasn't touched despite the mollusc plague. This year not quite so good as it did get a bit nibbled but nowhere near as much as my other hostas.

'June' is a smaller type of slug resistant hosta (unlike some of the others mentioned that tend to be big plants). it has an attractive yellow and blue-green variegation and quite large and significant purple flowers.

Hope this helps

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2009, 18:00:45 »
I thought it was time to post an update.  The three 'slug resistant' Hostas I planted out back in the autumn are all showing signs of growing but one, 'Invincible', has had its leading main unfurled leaf almost completely eaten through. Not very well named is it? So far so good with the other two.  How are yours doing?

G x

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2009, 18:28:31 »
All three of mine are through aswell, Big Daddy was the last to show his face.

They are all doing well, no sign of anything nibbling them  :)  -  Yet !!

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 18:11:51 »
Slugs eat hostas because they are a delicious leaf.

If you think that they are not edible you deserve to loose them to the slugs and snails.

The leaves are eaten whole, bites taken as you enjoy the rest of the meal.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 16:42:16 »

If you think that they are not edible you deserve to loose them to the slugs and snails.

How rude.   >:(

Anyway, for those of us who are following this trial I've taken pictures of mine today.  Here they are:

Tokudama - the slow coach

(not so) Invincible

Big Daddy

G x

« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 16:45:09 by Georgie »

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 10:06:47 »

How rude.   >:(

Anyway, for those of us who are following this trial I've taken pictures of mine today.  Here they are:

Tokudama - the slow coach

(not so) Invincible

Big Daddy

G x

How sanctimonious

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 10:20:25 »
Very good thread Georgie ;D

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 10:45:16 »
You've reminded me to go and have a look for mine.  I can't remember where I put them!  Can you tell I don't 'do' non-edibles  ;)

They're looking good Georgie, even Invincible hasn't been stripped bare so there's hope yet......

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 13:54:09 »
You've reminded me to go and have a look for mine.  I can't remember where I put them!  Can you tell I don't 'do' non-edibles  ;)

They're looking good Georgie, even Invincible hasn't been stripped bare so there's hope yet......

LOL Ceres!  They seem very slow to me but as I've never grown them before I don't know if that's normal. 

I hope you find yours and also that others who took advantage of the offer report back on how theirs are doing soon.

G x

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 22:21:13 »

Aww zigzig, of course we all know that slugs love to eat Hostas - and we dont think for a minute they are not edible and we certainly dont 'deserve' to lose them due to ignorance of that fact !! 

What we are doing here is testing out the claim that these Hostas are supposed to be slug-resistant.

Georgie, mine are doing fine so far and look about similar size to yours  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2009, 10:05:40 »
They not only taste nice to the slug, they keep the same leaves all season. So once something's had a nibble, the nibble just stays there, while so many plants grow new leaves, and it disappears after a while. I still haven't replaced the ones I lost in the drought three years ago, so I'm watching this thread with interest!

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 11:29:08 »
I've always found that boiling up two big bulbs of garlic (peeled first) and spraying liberally over the plants, then surrounding the hosta with a mulch of coffee grounds sends the slugs running....

www.fennelandfern.co.uk
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Have a look at the Good Growing Guide - free downloadable gardening advice: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/grow

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 12:07:53 »
I like the blog, but you could save yourself a bit of bother by putting the URL in your signature.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2009, 19:42:53 »
Big Daddy is growing for me 2 leaves one with nibbles but no sign of the other 2
lbb

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2009, 19:59:52 »
I've always found that boiling up two big bulbs of garlic (peeled first) and spraying liberally over the plants, then surrounding the hosta with a mulch of coffee grounds sends the slugs running....

www.fennelandfern.co.uk

That's interesting.  I've used a garlic spray on aphid infestations before but hadn't heard of it as a slug deterrant.  I've never found coffee grounds effective, sadly.

Big Daddy is growing for me 2 leaves one with nibbles but no sign of the other 2
lbb

Oh dear, LBB, that doesn't sound good.   :(

G x 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal