Author Topic: Quince/blackberry/raspberry gin?  (Read 12725 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
Quince/blackberry/raspberry gin?
« on: October 15, 2008, 08:07:46 »
No sloes here! Went confidently out to collect them and there are none at all.

I have been reading about flavouring the spirit I have already bought with other fruit. Has anyone tried the quince or blackberry or raspberry? I have looked up recipes but was a bit put off by someone saying the raspberry one tasted like cough syrup.

One feature of most recipes is that the fruit is steeped in the spirit without any sugar for a week or several, and a sugar syrup is added later. With sloes, I have always put everything in the jar at once. Does it matter, does anyone know?

Of course there's not much fruit around at the moment - no plums, just apples, quinces and my frozen raspberries and blackberries, plus a few fresh ones still clinging on. The only fruit I am prepared to actually buy is cranberries, as we'd buy them anyway for Christmas and they keep for practically ever.

Advice, please?

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
Re: Quince/blackberry/raspberry gin?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 17:39:53 »
I really wouldn't recommend making raspberry gin.    ;D

It is just too delicious and morish and may result in, er, unusual behaviour.    ;)

No, I just make it exactly the same way as sloe gin - raspberries and sugar into the gin, shake each day till the sugar dissolves and leave 2-3 months before straining and bottling.  Sugar is a matter of taste, it needs less than sloe gin so just add a little to begin with, and adjust later if you think it needs more.

I shall be bottling mine up this weekend.  Oh joy! 

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 20:12:44 »
OH, thank you thank you! Encouragement! It is going to happen......

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 13:46:13 »
I forgot to add that the raspberries retain an astonishing amount of liquid, so leave them to drain in a sieve over a jug for at least 24 hours.  (Probably not a good idea to do this with blackberries, because of the bitter hulls.)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 13:51:39 »
I made some redcurrant vodka this year and tried some the other day... Words cannot describe the sensation... I've never drunk anything that makes blood come out of my eyeballs before!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 14:05:19 »
Ollie whereabouts do you live ? ;D I want to try some!!
Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 17:10:59 »
I made some redcurrant vodka this year and tried some the other day... Words cannot describe the sensation... I've never drunk anything that makes blood come out of my eyeballs before!

;D

details please - of the vodka recipe, not your eyes  :o

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 20:45:10 »
ollie its not hallowin till next week trick or treat......sounds like your vodka could be used for either!!!!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 20:51:57 »
I filled an empty vodka bottle with redcurrants & then poured in vodka until it reached the top. Then waited... It will be lovely over ice cream, or with added sugar, in another 6 months!

Oh, the colour is amazing already!

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 11:39:52 »
Raspberry vodka or this years discovery tayberry vodka, is the way to go!! I put on a previous thread that my goddaughter (age 22) told me that it was the best present Ihad ever given her (ungrateful wretch - I am sure I have given her many wonderful gifts!)
I basically fill a jar half full with raspberries and fill with vodka, shake whenever I open the cupboard. Leave for 2-3 months - strain making sure to get all of the juice out of the raspberries. Make sugar solution (water and sugar) and mix this with vodka to taste.
I have made blackberry (good) and blackcurrant (ok with sparkling wine, not really on its own). I want to make cherry next year.
This really is brilliant stuff - all my friends want me to make it for them. Have I convinced you yet?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 19:32:06 »
This all sounds most encouraging. I have not done it yet, but will. I have been wondering about the amount of juice in raspberries possibly diluting the vodka (ordinary cheapo) but have decided not to worry.

Redcurrant vodka is a brilliant idea for next year. If you are not a Finn, it can be difficult to decide what to do with them after redcurrant jelly.

barkingdog

• Acre
  • Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 19:57:26 »
I think this link has been posted before but here it is again!

http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/schnapps-recipes.html

Lots of ideas, I can particularly recommend the crab apple  :P

bd

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 21:02:57 »
Thanks for the link to schnapps recipes - where do you get the 40% proof vodka  from, or is that what most vodka is?

barkingdog

• Acre
  • Norfolk
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 18:33:32 »
I think that it is all 40%!

bd

widgetwilk

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 21:16:06 »
I like the sound of this, have not tried it yet, :P :P

blackberry whiskey recipe:

400g blackberries
100g white sugar
70cl bottle of cheap whiskey

Add the blackberries and sugar to a pickling jar (I leave it to your own judgement as to whether or not to mash up the blackberries but like most soft fruit you probably won't need to)

Pour in the whiskey

Close lid and give it a shake

Leave to stand for 3 months shaking occasionally to dissolve the sugar and help the blackberry juice infuse the whiskey.

Once the three months are up, strain and bottle the liquid. It is of course now ready to drink.

Use the whiskey sodden fruit pulp as a topping for ice cream or a pudding of some sorts - well it does seem a shame to throw it away - waste not want not.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal