Poll

On your site, are you allowed to have more than one plot?

No
Yes, you get priority over newcomers
Yes, you join the waiting list again and take your turn
Yes, but only if there is nobody on the waiting list

Author Topic: Multiple plots  (Read 7220 times)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Multiple plots
« on: October 14, 2008, 22:29:34 »
Interested to hear how sites handle this.  Our chairperson has resigned and the committee is deeply divided over this.  It's probably going to be the main (and very heated) debate at the AGM.

betula

• Hectare
Re: Multiple plots
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 22:35:28 »
We don't have a rule about this.Nothing in our tenancy agreement.We do not have a committee either.

I have two plots.This is from the days when there were only a few plotholders and half the site was derelict. :)

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 22:37:54 »
not really,as our waiting list is 40 strong,and has been closed for 2 years now
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 22:43:10 »
Before  allotments became back into vogue you could have as many plots as you wanted as the site was nearly derelict.  But now we have a waiting list the rules are if you have a half plot and a whole plot becomes available then you get first refusal of the whole plot but that would mean you give up your half plot.  If you have a whole plot then you have to go on the waiting list to get another plot.

Sinbad

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 23:04:53 »
Yes, you join the waiting list again and take your turn

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 23:06:38 »
Our plots are all the same size. Probably about a quarter of proper old fashioned plot and I've got two.

There are a few cases of people taking them on and suddenly realising what they've taken on and then giving them up.

If I needed another plot I'd be more than willing to take my turn.

I'd be concerned if there wasn't a waiting list and the site went into decline and the local council giving it over to planning.

I'm assuming that some plotholders want a plot next to theirs if it becomes available rather than wait in the queue - patience is a virtue and everything comes to those that wait - eventually  :) If they keep their plots up to scratch, surely nothing in the rules that would say they couldn't swap, not in plotholder name but just the cultivation?

Ninnyscrops
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 23:41:02 »
I have asked for another 5rod but because I live outside the parish I don't stand an earthly chance as people who do live in the parish take presidence every time and so I just keep going to the back of the list!! ::) I pay a small amount more in rent, and keeping my plot in a fair condition counts for nothing. It'a very sore point with a few of us, especially as there are newbie people who have obviously lost interest but wont give their plots up. The powers that be are oblivious to their weeds and blighted crops etc. Most annoying.
Smile, it confuses people.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 23:44:12 »
It's a bit more complicated.  We're a private site but don't pay our rents to a landlord, the money stays in the site and we run ourselves with an elected committee.  We were established by Royal Warrant in 1921 and the Royal Warrant states that 'no man shall have more land than he can cultivate in his leisure time' ............. 'and it shall not exceed one quarter of an acre' (which is 4 plots).  Historically, multiple plots have been allowed.  You joined the queue and waited your turn.  When your turn came, if you were offered a plot too far away from your existing plot(s) you could refuse it and stay at the top of the list until a suitable one became available.  A few committee members believe the Royal Warrant can be interpreted such that it only enables people to have multiple plots, it doesn't entitle them to.  And so because the Council has closed it's waiting lists, they want to stop existing members getting more than one plot to make more plots available for outsiders.  I should add that a number of the committee members, including those who are pushing for ther change, have more than one plot but these would not have to be surrendered under the new arrangements as they were taken when 'times were different'.  Out of approx. 200 plots, around 20 are currently 'multiple plots'.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 06:54:30 »
different situation on ours, there are only 9 full plots which are about half a normal plot, we have 5 on the waiting list so, each time someone stops for whatever reason, the plot is split in 2..anyone who wants extra land goes on the waiting list

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 07:05:50 »
Last year's AGM agreed that existing double plot holders could keep them, but no one would be allowed more than one plot from then on.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 07:44:49 »
Our site is run by the Parish Council. The rules can be summarised:

* people within the parish take precedence on the waiting list

* multiple plots are allowed but only if there is nobody on the waiting list

* a plot holder who wants a swap may be offered an available plot (at the discretion of the council) before people on the waiting list.

We have 46 plot holders - 7 of them have two plots.

The plots vary in size from 2+ to 10 poles - the average size is circa 5 poles.

I have two plots, aggregate size 8.5 poles, while some have a single full size plot (10 poles).

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 08:10:01 »
On our site, if someone had multiple plots (40 rod is the maximum the Council allow) they would be allowed to keep them - as usually they would have had these for many years, when no one wanted them - but many of them being aware of our waiting list over the last three years, generously gave some up.  We don't now have anyone with the maximum of 40 rods, - although we did have four people with 40 rod plots about three years ago.  Two people currently have 20 rod plots each.
If a plot holder has a five rod plot and they are fully cultivating this and they want a second plot then they can go on the list for a second plot - and if they are near the top of the waiting list when a plot near them becomes available the field secretary uses his discretion about allocating this to them.  Any ten rod plots which become vacant are split into two five rod plots, or if the holder of a five rod plot wants to take on the whole of a ten rod plot which is becoming vacant, then they have to give back their five rod plot.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 09:02:44 »
Our situation is like that of most.  Multiple plot holders were from days when nobody wanted one.  As and when them plots become available, they are offered individually to those on a waiting list.  No current plot holder is allowed to go on the waiting list for additional plots as long as there is a waiting list.  Our current wait time is around 2 years. 

Current plot holders can request a swap when other plots become available.  They would be allowed priority to swap over allocating to newbies.  (Providing they have worked their current plot)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Sean and Julie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 09:13:20 »
Oh dear this multiple plot thing where i live is just all wrong, some plot holders hace 30 rods on one site and 10 on others, noiw you may say ok thats fine but one gent in question only uses half of each plot because the other half is more shaded and he only maintains the plots the day before each inspection every month, plus he only grows flowers and veg for shows and picks the best and just leaves the rest to go to waste, there is a 2 and a half year wait for plots where i am, and in this current so called credit crunch we should all be digging for britain again

Sean

Debenvalley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 10:02:00 »

We are not allowed mulitple plots while there is a waiting list-  which currently has 40+ on it so I've heard.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 10:17:41 »
Waiting list in the city is now 140 and counting so second plots are becoming a no-no and when plots become vacant they are then halved, you then have to give proof of good practice beyond 6 months to be concidered for a full plot.

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 19:11:59 »
Interested to hear how sites handle this.  Our chairperson has resigned and the committee is deeply divided over this.  It's probably going to be the main (and very heated) debate at the AGM.

Ours is a council site and we use what are called Site Liason Officers. These people are the Gods of THEIR allotment. Their job is to look after the sites and liase with the officials that now control the sites in our area.(Contracting at its best) Due to the NOW popularity of allotment gardening these folk are no longer allowing the use of full plots. Our site was rebuilt in 1994 and consisted of 20 half plots and 60 full plots. (Then). A full plot being 200 sq mts 20 X 10. As said elsewhere in this thread, during this time allotmenting was just beginning to become popular. AGAIN !As the site comes under my control (but not the renting) we have been fortunate enough to be able to enlarge the site to 140 plots. All the new ones are half plots but newbies can take 2 if they are adjacent.
Now that everybody and his 12 yr old and his dog want a plot these SLO's are cutting as many of the original sites as they can, into halves. This may or may not be a good idea. What we've found is that once some newbies get digging, that MASSIVE area is now too small and they want more.They can join the waiting list at any time but cant ask for the plot next door if you like.if theres a waiting list.I know this is going on a bit but what peeves me about plot cutting is the annoying fact that no sooner do you get to know your neighbor 2 or 3 seasons later they're gone. So many newbies lose the allure of the garden as well as those that want more
Currently we have a list of 10 and i know of at least 4 that will be vacant on 12/12/08 but by then the list will have changed. Gotten longer!
How long will the new boom last though ?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 19:25:46 »
Kingston boy, are you in Kingston,. Surrey?  If so, could you pm me please which site you're on?  Thx!

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 20:05:30 »
Kingston boy, are you in Kingston,. Surrey?  If so, could you pm me please which site you're on?  Thx!

Why? Are you the SLO?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 00:12:28 »
Why? Are you the SLO?

No, I'm not.  If your site is close enough and you only have 10 on your waiting list I'd like to join it.  Nothing sinister.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal