Author Topic: moving veg  (Read 1205 times)

lizagrowbag

• Quarter Acre
moving veg
« on: October 11, 2008, 15:12:36 »
ok so we were just given a allotment  the place we were before was a public area and  we have young cabbages  there  i wanted to ask is it poss and would they survive if we were to move them to the new allotment?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: moving veg
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 16:44:05 »
You have nothing to lose.  It is too late to start sowing again.  If you leave them there you will lose them when you hand the area back.  If you transplant and they don't take then you have lost nothing except a couple of hours.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 17:37:53 »
Just leave plenty of soil around the rots and water them in well and hopefully you should be ok
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 02:42:18 »
ive not long sown some overwintering cabbages.and they looking great so far!the more mature element on our site reckon that its not worth bothering with overwintering,as the weather,or the rats will see it all off,but,as its our first year we gonna go for it anyway,so we learn for ourselves.what will we lose,a few seeds and gain a ton of knowledge!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 08:37:29 »
I once  grew some over wintering cauli. Jan/Feb time they looked quite sorry for themselves and I wondered if I should put them no the compost heap.I didnt,I persevered with them and they produced some of the best cauli's I have ever had.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

amphibian

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 20:39:25 »
I once  grew some over wintering cauli. Jan/Feb time they looked quite sorry for themselves and I wondered if I should put them no the compost heap.I didnt,I persevered with them and they produced some of the best cauli's I have ever had.

Years a go I made the mistake of composting my sorry looking overwintering brassicas, now I know that they sulk for most of the winter before geeting going again in spring. For me learning shich plants sulk and for how long is key.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal