Author Topic: The best animal to teach young children responsibility...chickens  (Read 2148 times)

cocopops

• Acre
My children, 8 and almost 5, used to want animals but then they always became my and OH's responsibility.  In the UK we had rabbits, guinea pigs and cats.  Loved them but no real interest in looking after them day to day.

After one year in France (2007) we decide to get two dogs and more cats (now 4).  My 8 year old daughter was ok about feeding them but it was a push.  We had our ex-bat hens in April  2008 and since then she has always wanted to feed them, water them, stroke them and check for eggs.  Both of my children now will feed all the animals without a fuss.  I think that that the care of keeping hens alive is much harder, which they understand, and now make more of an effort with all of our pets.

I think that they are great fun and a brilliant tool in looking after animals.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: The best animal to teach young children responsibility...chickens
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 20:45:05 »
Interesting to see that you think keeping hens alive is much harder... we get ours on Monday, and are a bit eggcited as you'd expect! (Sorry, I'll try not to crack any more chicken jokes!).

I always think cats are easy, but we've spent over £1,000 in vets bills over the last 7 years. I don't intend to spend that much on a chicken... maybe I'll soften wen we get to know each other!

We had chickens, ducks & geese when I was a child, and I always wanted to feed them. I don't remember them being much effort, but you don't when it's not seen as a chore, do you...

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 14:15:29 »
I think keeping hens is a doddle! They need basics like food, water and dry draught free housing and that's pretty much it (unless you count protection from predators).

I leave mine for up to three days at a time if I'm working funny hours and then just top up the water etc and do a poo-pick inn  their house and run. The only extra work this time of year is keeping the water ice-free.

Some people say to check in on them twice a day but it's in my mind that's not necessary.

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 18:20:06 »
I think that I may have made too much of an issue of how hard it is to keep hens.  My cats can roam free and just need some dried food and a bowl of water.  My dogs are 'free range' as in I live in the country, and I am a full time mum, so they are easy to look after and fantastic company.

The hens, all 16, are in a fenced off area surrounded by an electric fence.  Unlike with my other animals there is a 'pecking order' and I need to ensure that they all get food.  They drink an enormous amount so I am checking on them all the time.  They are so tame so that when I went into their compound once they came round me and I accidently stood on ones foot.  I felt awful.  This is my first time with hens and I probably worry about them too much.  I think my children have picked up on this and are aware that they need watching, and we love the girls, not a chore but a new fantastic learning curve!

Good luck Ollie for your hens, with some experience I am sure that you will have no problems.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 18:24:05 by cocopops »

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 21:20:15 »
Not sure I should ask this - but will they be okay when the chickens have stopped laying and its time to turn them into casserole?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 21:41:34 »
Not sure I should ask this - but will they be okay when the chickens have stopped laying and its time to turn them into casserole?

Ha!! When they stop laying, they still lay as many eggs as a cat, dog or goldfish... I won't be culling mine when they stop (even if I plan to, I know I'll soften up!).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 21:49:22 by OllieC »

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 00:12:25 »

Ha!! When they stop laying, they still lay as many eggs as a cat, dog or goldfish... I won't be culling mine when they stop (even if I plan to, I know I'll soften up!).

kind of sums up the title of the thread realy

a chicken is for life not just for eggs!!

lbb

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal