Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2913 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Newbie
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 19:30:45 »
Ho Ho Ho     oh Sam your soooooo funny   not, you should start your own comedy forum.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 12:12:58 »
This is what i have done so far

Excuse the mess lol hasnt stopped raining for a few days lol. Im also going to be growing in pots to  ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 14:48:58 »
mummybunny i cant see anything :-\

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 15:57:13 »
which end of the garden is North?
You couldn't make it up!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 16:06:51 »
looks good, you'll be amazed what you can cram in there  ;D

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 16:52:47 »
  Hi mummy b,    :D

Looks good to me, can see a great row of beans along the wall and anything else that climbs
  and feeds you !
  Can I ask what depth the beds are and did you find soil under the rubble you removed, if so
  the type of soil will reflect on drainage,   ooh a blank canvas and it's all yours   ;D

Ask away,  there are lots of qualified peeps on here -  and me a mere newbie   :-\    x

Hertfordshire,   south east England

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 17:17:23 »
mummybunny don't worry i can see the pic now :).

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 18:23:52 »
Hi all,

Tonybloke: - I'm not sure is the answer to your question  :-[ I know we get the sun all day when its shinning lol apparently its a south facing garden? means nothing to me!!!

Flossy: - well it was a hard job there was a homemade ( by previous homeowners) water feature in the middle. Was falling apart and very unsafe there was about 3 foot of water once i took it all apart! It had pond lining which i had to remove but all the water drained away pretty quick so i don't think I'll have problems (famous last words) dug down about 3 foot over the whole area and leveled it all and then made the frame up also new to woodwork but think i did OK. I'm also going to source some more topsoil and mix in some compost to bring the level up to about an inch or two from the top! Hoping all will be OK.

Was thinking Peas and runners along the wall? My 3 kids are loving seeing it come along. My youngest Lillie is 2 and spends every minute with me when I'm out there even insisted on helping remove rocks and weeds lol Lets just hope that she doesn't confuse the veg for weeds later on  :-\

Anyway have spent most of the day on this site its addictive  :o Better get some work done  ;D

Lucy

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 19:14:48 »

:o  O M G , you've done so much !

well done you and all credit to you and the babes [ they will do that - if it's green it's gotta come out }
     Will say , your woodwork looks a darn site better than my edging on the lottie - mind you it is only temporary  er hum,  till I get round to it !,

Do start a compost bin, you have no idea how much ' goodie ' waste you will find.

Beans and peas sound great, any questions about when to plant, where, what in and what with ,
   just ask,  even the experts hear something new now and then ;D ,

You can plant Broad beans now if you fancy filling your patch but they will take up room and are on going for quite a while,   so you may find winter salads and spinach type crops will then leave your patch free for Spring, 

Bon voyage and enjoy !   x

Hertfordshire,   south east England

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 12:39:02 »
Hi

Any tips on what winter salads to plant and anyhing else that would leave room for spring? I have hard that you can plant garlic now is this right? Also would i have to make a cover to protect them?

Thanks again for all the help

Lucy

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 13:43:11 »
Quite a lot depends on where you are. We've had winter lettuces (like Quatre Saisons/Four Seasons and Merveile d'Hiver)  in beds under enviromesh held up by hoops and they've been perfectly happy but London is a far cry from e.g. Inverness and I think they might need to be at the seedling stage already - Hope someone else can give a more definitive answer.

Garlic can be planted from now onwards. Ideally when the soil isn't too wet and it definitely doesn't need covering - quite the opposite! Here's a guide http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_april_3_garlic.asp

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2008, 13:57:29 »
Thanks Barnowl I'm in Bristol so not too far away. Have seen some winter lettuces in the garden centre ready to plant ones so may give them a try.

Definitely going to plant garlic now thanks for the link.

Thanks again

Lucy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal