Author Topic: A long walk  (Read 2708 times)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
A long walk
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:41:25 »
This is a picture of my allotment.
http://www.multimap.com/s/ioa5IKr5

The parking is down in the bottom left and my plot is at the far end, to the right(red circle). A car can get down as far as the club house (center).
It must be about 300 yards, i'm going to pace it out when i go over there later.

Anyone else got further to go?

Neil

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: A long walk
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:50:09 »
wow :o that quite a walk, but at least your sure you are going to get your daily exercise ;). your plot looks like it gets a lot of shade, has this caused you any problems.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 12:32:21 »
There is a scale at the bottom (multimap).....yes a long way almost 300 yds. I must measure the distance i have to walk to get water......back and forwards..back and forwards usually when it's hot!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 12:37:55 »
200 yds to fill 2 watering cans. :P

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 18:38:32 »
I paced it out and it was 210 from the carpark to the front of my plot, I have a water tap about 5yards away from the front of the plot.

The whole plot gets sun until about 3pm then a tree gets in the way and shades most of it, about 4.30 the sun moves past the tree to let a bit more light for about quarter of the plot.
I was thinking of climbing the fence and cutting the tree down, its on the old allotment land.

Neil

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 19:23:31 »
we haven't had water on our site this year - does this count as further??

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 10:43:11 »
I paced it out and it was 210 from the carpark to the front of my plot, I have a water tap about 5yards away from the front of the plot.

The whole plot gets sun until about 3pm then a tree gets in the way and shades most of it, about 4.30 the sun moves past the tree to let a bit more light for about quarter of the plot.
I was thinking of climbing the fence and cutting the tree down, its on the old allotment land.

Neil

i hate cutting trees down but your area has a really thick hedge/ ground cover so i don't think you would be affecting the habitat in a gross way. if you do have permission to cut the tree down try and do it during the winter before the birds start thinking of nesting. another idea and only you will know if this is a possiblity; that is to simply remover the tree's branches like they do for the city trees i think its callled pollarding and its done during the tree's dormant period. here is a link to possible options on controlling the trees growth if you choose to keep it but would like to reduce its size.

http://www.answers.com/topic/pruning

and here is a link to pollarding photos: http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A1f4cfkJfOxI9EIAK.pLBQx.?ei=UTF-8&p=Pollarding&fr2=tab-web&fr=ush-mailc

this link is how not to do it ;):
http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/topping.aspx

most importantly be safe :).

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 11:19:38 »
Tyke, only if you're walking and carrying it!

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 20:20:49 »

i hate cutting trees down but your area has a really thick hedge/ ground cover so i don't think you would be affecting the habitat in a gross way. if you do have permission to cut the tree down try and do it during the winter before the birds start thinking of nesting. another idea and only you will know if this is a possiblity; that is to simply remover the tree's branches like they do for the city trees i think its callled pollarding and its done during the tree's dormant period. here is a link to possible options on controlling the trees growth if you choose to keep it but would like to reduce its size.

Thanks for the link, i agree about the nesting and there is nothing nesting at the moment. The tree is a young Oak and about 25' high. The more mature trees are plentyful so i don't think it would be missed. I was thinking of cutting it at about 6' high and making a feeding station for the birds to go on top.

Neil

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 20:32:21 »
You might want to check with the Council that it doesn't have a preservation order.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 21:59:13 »
You might want to check with the Council that it doesn't have a preservation order.

yep i second this, especially as oak in particular due to some archaic shipping law is not allowed to be chopped down, i might be wrong, if so, someone feel free to correct me :-\.

but if you can the bird feeding station is a good idea.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 23:56:21 »
I third that, check it doesn't have a TPO ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal