Author Topic: Codling Moths and Apple Trees  (Read 6981 times)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Codling Moths and Apple Trees
« on: October 05, 2008, 21:09:42 »
I've got a glue band and a pheromone trap on my apple tree.  Despite this I've got a very large amount of codling moth caterpillar damage to the fruit.  Has anyone used the appropriate nematodes for this.  I'm only hesitating because they're expensive (£25 everywhere - isn't that price-fixing??) and they're packed in a 20 tree size which seems excessive for a single small tree.  Anyone got any other solutions please?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Codling Moths and Apple Trees
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 17:30:49 »
we had the same this year, ceres, not many undamaged fruit at all, mind you, half had fallen off while we were on holiday  :)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 22:37:19 »
Maybe just a bad (good!) year for codling moths then?  I don't remember it being so bad last year.

On the nematodes thing, I saw some Q&A's from Agralan who make them asking why they aren't sold in smaller packs.  The answer was something along the lines of they were developed for commercial growers and that they would think about making smaller packs if there was demand.  In the meantime, you can't overdose your tree so don't worry about using a 20 tree pack on one tree!  Good business at £25 a throw but not exactly environmentally friendly in manufacturing terms - more processing, more packaging, more transporting............

If there's no other solution, I may have to try bifenthrin next summer.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 07:09:22 »
I've some liquid derris stashed, trouble is, the tree is 16' high  ;D
tried squirting it this year and got more on me than on the tree  ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 09:52:48 »
Yikes. Derris is not nice stuff - never breathe it - it's been linked with Parkinson's...

I found with my Bramley that the pheromone traps did work, but you do need to time it right and change lures after a week or so, to get the last moths. Ever since I had a big go at the things a couple of years ago I've hardly had any trouble at all - guess there weren't many moths left in the area as a result of the treatment!

My problem at the moment is too many apples!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 10:17:47 »
I did replace the lures - I used 3 in total and it's only a small tree.  I think I'll have to spray next year when the caterpillars start emerging as there must be hundreds of them based on the damage this year.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 15:54:32 »
hmm can't think what's going on then... how small a tree? Nettable? (I've got a couple of minarettes which would be coverable, so not too wacky an idea)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 12:20:30 »
Unfortunately netting probably won't help against codling moth as it tends to overwinter in crevices in the bar of the tree. The traditional treatment was winter tar oil wash. You can apply high pressure water spray in winter too to help knock some of them out and so reduce numbers, as well as doing the pherome traps from late April onwards.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 12:45:23 »
Hi jenny
Thanks for the info.  The EU have done for tar oil washes and high pressure spraying isn't an option (no water supply) so I'm going to try the plant oil version of a tar oil wash.  Growing Success do it and I've found their organic slug pellets brilliant so here's hoping.  Cheapest on eBay.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 09:34:32 »
You could  wait  till all your leaves have died off. Then if your tree is looking a bit dirty give it a good spray with Jeyes fluid making sure it goes in all  the nooks and crannies to remove the moss and  dirt .I think it is ok to use it as a cleaning agent. Codling moths don't seem to like clean trees
You could also treat the soil around the bottom of the tree as a precaution against moss.. ;)
Cheers .. Jim

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 10:24:43 »
Since Jeyes isn't used as a tree wash there are no instructions on how to use it.  What is the correct dilution please?

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 18:42:29 »
  quote,The EU have done for tar oil washes

Being new on here i found i found by reading this from ceres about tar washing. As i have now started on a piece of land that has small plum trees on it .Well 3! They are 6 to 8 ft tall and have ivy growing halfway up them. I decided it was time to have bug free plums this year. After some rooting about on the 'net, if you go to the Amillatox site you will find the answer to your prayers. Amillatox explain that they have changed its description from insecticide to a wash, thereby they bypass the EU directive that said it had to be banned. Good site and a good number of tips. Back to the moths and sawfly. Its suggested that clearance of the detrius around the base of the tree and then hoe/cultivate the now seen earth vigorously. Apparently the birds will eat the egg/larvae that you will see in the disturbed earth.Leave for a while and then spray with the correct dilution of product. Also spray the whole tree. The Amillatox site tell you that the product is also an accepted organic solution. After removing the ivy and pruning the trees they look nice again and,i hope ,will produce lovely yellow plums.When half the flowers drop the trees should again be sprayed.Everything is worth a try i believe. Its hard to find i know but its there.I bought one Sat just gone.

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 15:45:20 »
Being a bit on the thick side, did we sort out if jeyes fluid can be used against codling moth please if so what strength  ??? ???
                           Thanking You.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 10:39:58 »
When it used to be allowed before the EEC ruling which I think now has banned Jeyes from being used as an insecticide/herbicide in the garden.
We used to mix it at a strength of a teaspoon to 2 gallons of water ..
We used to wait till the tree was fully dormant, usually early January before we sprayed it .
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 10:41:54 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 16:47:43 »
Thanks growmore I will probably give it a try.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal