Author Topic: Which way to face?  (Read 1426 times)

Frampers

• Not So New ...
Which way to face?
« on: October 02, 2008, 22:59:30 »
Hi all from a very newbie!

Just started to potter around the site this evening and I'm loving it! :) Incredible amount of information available from all you very experienced allotmenteers!

I went to visit a site today which has previously been a market garden (but not for many years). The site covers about 20+ acres and is being split into about 20 allotments. I'm in the unusual position that I can choose where I would like our (dh and I) allotment to be. The plots are going to be long and thin - only about 5m wide

If I've done this right - you should be able to click on the link to see the site. The plots are going to run from the left of the poly tunnel round the corner and then they will finish level with the far edge of the building that's in the picture.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=BS36+2sw&countryCode=GB#map=51.51868,-2.47737|19|256&be=4243112|West&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:51.52459:-2.47956:16|BS36%202sw|BS36%202SW

Is it better to get an allotment that runs parallel to the poly tunnel or one that is round the corner and will run up to the building?

Is there anything to be concerned about with a plot that is only 5m wide?

I'll take some photos as and when I can and post for all to see. It's a real blank canvas and I just hope that we can do it justice!

Back to my planning! See you all soon!

Sharon

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Re: Which way to face?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 23:09:28 »
Hi Frampers and welcome!

As far as I can judge if you had a plot that ran at right angles to the poly tunnel it would be facing southwest, which would be pretty good for sun.

Don't worry about your plot being narrow - my half plot is only six yards wide by 20 long. You'll be amazed by what you can cram in!

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 14:49:30 »
hiya, frampers, welcome to the site  ;D
do you get part of the poly ?
15' is a good size and the soil should be good after being a market garden

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 17:56:05 »
The key elements as I see it are;

1) You don't want to be near the trees or hedges there could be roots to contend with and they may cause shadows.

2) You want the long side of your plot facing south to south west to get maximum light.

3) Near the buildings/tunnel will shelter you from the prevailing winds, but they may block out the light.

Light is your most important requirement.

4) Keep as close to the access road as possible so that you have easy access for farm yard manure deliveries etc.

Its hard work barrowing this stuff so avoid this chore if possible.

5) Go around the plot and dig a series of holes to gauge soil depth and go for the deepest.

6) Look for signs of potential flooding.

OK that a lot of possibilities and meeting all these criteria will be difficult, so get the plot with the most of them.

Frampers

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 21:51:11 »
Thanks for all you comments folks!

Much appreciated!

Sharon
x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal