Author Topic: blight advice greenhouse  (Read 3214 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
blight advice greenhouse
« on: October 05, 2008, 14:15:27 »
The man on the plot next to me has 2 medium size greenhouses.   He likes to grow lots of tomatoes but for the last 3 years the tomatoes have suffered from severe blight.  Last year he removed a lot of soil and moved fresh in with no improvment.  He plans to move one of the green houses to the other end of his plot.  I suggested he puts in slabs and uses growbags and tubs to prove it is the soil.   Have I given him the right advice.   I wanted to advise cleaning the greenhouse with Jeyes fluid as I use to years ago but is it allowed now??  I think it will be very hard work to move a greenhouse or 2..  What do you experts out there advise please?  The other plot holders with greenhouses had no blight this year.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: blight advice greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 14:32:17 »
Cleaning with Jeys fliud is allowed....infact I read in a magazine earlier today that now is the time of year to do it.

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 20:55:02 »
If he wants to disinfect it he should just go ahead. But blight is carried by airborne spores from a fungus which can't live on dead material, so I'd be extremely surprised if it is overwintering in the greenhouse. Problem is, it's been extremely widespread the last coulple of summers, as it flourishes in the damp weather.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 12:51:57 »
'Lots of tomatoes': Does he have outdoor tomatoes? If he cuts those outside with blight and uses the same secateurs indoors without first disinfecting he could infect the plants inside.

Also does he ventilate his GH in the same way as the other plotholders?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 15:53:37 »
Were they near his Potatoes - with blight?

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 17:06:22 »
For two years running I have had blight on tomatoes in the GH. Picking off every infected leaf or fruit on a daily basis for several weeks worked because I am still picking ripe tomatoes.

I do remove all plant material at the end of the year and wash the GH with Jeyes Fluid.

Unfortunately if blight is around and the conditions are right for air borne spread of asexually produced spores then there is not a lot one can do to prevent it affecting plants.

However, for interest I sent some leaves to Wisley because the symptoms looked a bit unusual. Blight was confirmed. They informed me that blight does exist as resting spores as a result of sexual reproduction and that Jeyes fluid is not strong enough to kill them. I emailed them back and asked how frequently these resting spores occured in the UK, how important were they as a source of infection and how could they be controlled? I had a reply saying that they would normally reply in 5 working days but if the question was technical it could take up to four weeks to reply. That was a month ago and still no reply.

If these resting spores have been known for some time how is it that Wisley cannnot give an answer. After all many amateur and professional growers have tomatoes in the same GH/tunnel every year and therefore knowledge of the part these resting spores have in blight infection would be of considerable importance.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 17:36:26 »
How long can they survive ?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 21:54:42 »
I wonder whether the research has been done. Given the money the government makes available for these things, it's probably going to be a comparable situation to what we have with bee research. Miteborne viruses are decimating bee colonies all over the world, and we have the two top experts here in Britain. So they cut both their posts.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 21:56:36 by Robert_Brenchley »

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 23:31:58 »
This is the reply I had from Wisley today about potato blight and the resting spores produced by sexual reproduction. I don't think it is particularly helpful.

The latest research on the population genetic structure of the UK population of Phytophthora infestans has shown that the frequency of the mating type A2 has increased significantly in recent years.  Therefore the risk of production of oospores is much higher.  Research has shown that oospores are able to successfully infect plants, however the true infection potential of oospores produced in plants is not known.  Sampling for oospores is inherently difficult therefore this is not something we can do for you.
Expression of the symptoms may vary depending on the environmental conditions.  Therefore you might want to try again next year to grow your plants in the soil or use growbags to avoid the potential problem.

This was put on the BBC message board and is quite interesting

www.scri.ac.uk/resea...

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 09:45:03 »
Toadspawn the link went to an error page could you possibly cut and paste the article?

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 09:57:05 »
Thanks for your answers.  I am studying them all.  Tim    there was no potato  blight on any plots this year.  A lot last year.  There are greenhouses on other plots which did not have blight.  One greenhouse next to me is still full of tomato plants looking good.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 12:07:17 »
They informed me that blight does exist as resting spores as a result of sexual reproduction and that Jeyes fluid is not strong enough to kill them. I

I usually use Citrox or Jeyes on the GH, but if Jeyes isn't strong enough what is? Armillatox? Sulphur bombs? Kim and Aggie?

During the growing season, perhaps we should give half our plants aspirin next year as a trial (sprayed one aspirin per gallon every 2-3 weeks)? If skimmed milk  can help with mildew (http://www.pioneerthinking.com/tv-mildew.html) would it help prevent blight?

Has anyone done this as a controlled experiment?

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 23:08:29 »
Thifasmom

Sorry I on't know why it did not appear, worked on BBC board, try this, but the original had coloured graphs which did not copy and paste

This page can be found at: www.scri.ac.uk
Our work on the epidemiology and population biology of P. infestans forms part of the larger late blight team at SCRI.

Phytophthora infestans, the oomycete pathogen that causes late blight, infects potato foliage and tubers, reducing yield and quality of ware and seed potato crops. Growers can limit the impact of blight in their crops by managing sources of primary inoculum but are nevertheless reliant on regular pesticide applications. A need for more sustainable solutions for disease control is increasing the relevance of new sources of effectively deployed cultivar resistance.

All of the above approaches to disease management are influenced by population genetic structure of P. infestans. At a practical level our work seeks to address both the role of various sources of inoculum and the impact of changing pathogen populations on the epidemiology and management of disease. We also consider the P. infestans/potato interaction to be an excellent model with which to study the processes involved in host-parasite co-evolution. We are examining the evolutionary forces that drive population change and, in collaboration with SCRI colleagues, the behaviour of pathogen effectors in populations. Our work has national and international dimensions.

Primary inoculum
Currently, the main sources of P. infestans primary inoculum each season are considered to be tuber cull piles, seed tubers or infected volunteer potato plants. However, a change in the population of P. infestans (see below) has increased concerns about sexual oospores: a potentially serious source of long-lived soil-borne primary inoculum that can germinate to initiate early epidemics. Where both the A1 and A2 mating types of P. infestans exist together there is a risk of oospore formation.

Using a P. infestans diagnostic and SSR assays developed at SCRI that allow the detection, quantification and tracking of the pathogen we are examining the relative contribution of different sources of inoculum (tubers and oospores) in causing disease. The influence of host resistance, other pathogen interactions and climate on these processes are also considered.

Population change
Pathogen populations change over time; either in response to specific selection pressures or via chance events such as ‘founder effects’ (for example, migration of a single pathogen genotype to a new region). Several dramatic shifts in P. infestans populations on an international scale have been documented since its ‘escape’ from its centre of origin in Central or South America. Such a transition in Western Europe has been occurring in recent years with dramatic increases in the frequency of the A2 mating type being recorded. Understanding the mechanisms, processes and rates of P. infestans evolution is an important goal of our research since it influences the effectiveness and durability of new management practices.

Neutral markers
At SCRI we are monitoring the population genetic dynamics of P. infestans using panels of multiplexed microsatellite (or Simple Sequence Repeat; SSR) markers (Lees et al., 2006). Such data is providing an objective measure of pathogen diversity and was critical to the SCRI-led EUCABLIGHT project in which a database of almost 17 thousand European P. infestans isolates has been assembled. David Cooke is responsible for the continued development of this resource that is currently being extended into Central and Southern America via links with CIP and Alison Lees continues to be involved in the management of an ongoing European network (EuroBlight)  working on the integrated control of late blight and how this is influenced by changes in the pathogen population.

We have established good national and international collaborations to examine populations at a range of scales. In particular, a British Potato Council  sponsored project (2006-8) is examining population change within GB potato crops in great detail. The primary objectives are to monitor the increase in the P. infestans A2 mating type, establish whether oospores are present in GB soils and evaluate whether the increase of a specific A2 lineages is due to an increase in it’s aggressiveness. Currently results suggest a single lineage of A2 accounts for much of the change in the population.

Effector genes
In addition to variation at ‘neutral’ microsatellite loci we are examining variation in pathogen effector genes (for example, virulence genes) in national and international P. infestans populations. Establishing the frequency of different effector alleles in natural populations allows inferences to be drawn on selection pressures (+ve or –ve) and thus the function of different alleles. In the longer term, understanding the natural variation and mutation rates in effector genes will inform decisions on deployment of any associated resistance.

Host Resistance
We work closely with colleagues in the genetics and breeding programme to screen germplasm and breeding material for durable resistance to foliage and tuber blight, taking into consideration changes in the P. infestans population. With colleagues at SASA and SAC we are also involved in the BPC funded Independent Variety Trials that provide an integrated GB potato variety testing system to deliver independent disease and pest resistance ratings for the potato industry.

References
Cooke, D.E.L., Lees, A.K. 2004. Markers, old and new, for examining Phytophthora infestans diversity. Plant Pathology 53, 692-704.

Lees A.K., Wattier R., Shaw D.S., Sullivan L., Williams N.A. and Cooke D.E.L. 2006. Novel microsatellite markers for the analysis of Phytophthora infestans populations. Plant Pathology 55, 311-319.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 23:16:18 »
thanks for the info and link will peruse it tomorrow :).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal