Author Topic: Butternut squash  (Read 2787 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Butternut squash
« on: October 09, 2008, 19:52:25 »
Any recipes would be welcome, I don't even know if I cut it, peel it, or what to do with it, its just sat ther looking at me saying well do somthing with me then.  ???   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Butternut squash
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 21:24:09 »
http://vegbox-recipes.co.uk/ingredients/butternut-squash.php

Check out this website - lots of recipes here.

Tricia

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 12:27:42 »
Yet again I come here to ask a question and find that someonehas just asked it for me!

Although in my case the squishes that I have are the bright yellow, flying saucer shaped ones (sorry I don't know the name, lost the packet).  I assume that you can use these in the same way: hack the skin off, remove any seeds and then chop into lumps and add to curry, pasta source, risotto, etc ?

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 12:28:41 »
http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=40225

This is a lovely risotto and one of my favourites.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 16:38:59 »
SiD, it sounds like the ones you are describing are summer squash..pattie pan types,if so you can't use them the same as butternuts which are winter squash as the flesh is different.

Where they a bush type or a vine?
XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 19:59:10 »
SiD, it sounds like the ones you are describing are summer squash..pattie pan types,if so you can't use them the same as butternuts which are winter squash as the flesh is different.

Where they a bush type or a vine?
XX Jeannine

I believe that they are bush type - I thought that I was going to get courgettes off the plant until these funny yellow jobs suddenly appeared!  Must remember what I plant where.  How would I go about using them?

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 21:51:13 »
Cornykev I am not sure if you decided what to do with your BS, however I cook with it a lot, its a favourite in our house and I just wanted to say whatever you do, dont waste your time peeling it.
Just slice it in half, scoop out the seeds, dice it and then cook it which ever way yoou choose.
I tend to throw it in the oven with some garlic infused olive oil, a pinch of sea salt and roast it, or cook it in the same way to use in risotto or to make soup with.

Enjoy, its a delightful flavour but a devil to peel and I just wanted to make sure you didn't waste your time doing so as there is simply no need  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 11:53:39 »
They are summer squash, just use them any way you would use your courgettes, they are more or less the same thing..they will not store over the winter though XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 17:16:03 »
They are summer squash, just use them any way you would use your courgettes, they are more or less the same thing..they will not store over the winter though XX Jeannine

thanks jeanine - first one has just gone in a curry!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 18:44:48 »
They are summer squash, just use them any way you would use your courgettes, they are more or less the same thing..they will not store over the winter though XX
I will be growing butternut squash for a first, next year.  Never grown them as yet so don't even know if I will have success.  However, seed companies say they store well over winter ??? ???
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 18:58:26 »
Hi Si D
Your flying saucer type squash sound like scallipino or Custard yellow depends where you buy the seed. I grow quite a few of them. When they are small I either slice and add to a tossed salad, or saute them whole with a touch of garlic & herbs. The large ones I prefer sliced about an inch thick and saute'd with garlic and herbs.

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 19:07:35 »
Hi Cony kev
With butternut squash I prefer them rosted, treat same as a potato. They make excellent soup, or diced and cooked in microwave, serve with butter. There is also: West Indian Butternut, Butternut tart, Chilean Butternut, grilled creamy Butternut , Butternut & parmesan Gratin, Butternut and Chicken risotto to name just a few. I do have many receipes for different squash, some I produced and others from around the globe.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 14:19:39 »
Kt..the seeds companies are right,butternut along with all the winter squashes will keep throughout the winter,, the one taht looks like a flying saucer does not sound like a winter squash,,if I am right and it is a summer squash,they don't store.

Called winter because they store through the winter, the ones called summer squash are so called because they have to be used in the summer.

Butternuts are winter.,

XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal