Author Topic: Leaf mould  (Read 5753 times)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Re: Leaf mould
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 23:11:27 »
My street is lined with mature sycamore and London Plane trees and gets absolutely smothered in leaves in the autumn. Last year I went out every evening up and down the street collecting till I ran out of bags. I used those 'Big Hands' leaf collection things like these:

http://shop.theurbangarden.co.uk/everything_else/handy_hands_leaf_collectors/3514_p.html

It took quite a while. The neighbours who heard the rustling and scraping noises had a quick look, saw me... and not an eyelid was batted.   ;D

My advice is if you get the opportunity, take it - regardless of the reaction. You may be considered a looney, but at least you'll be the looney with the leaf mould!

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Bean_Queen

• Half Acre
  • growfruitandveg
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 09:11:31 »
You could add a booster:  human pee

The leaves need to be wet to rot down anyway :)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 17:20:27 »
I have a row of lime trees, and their leaves rot down within a year.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 21:30:35 »
OMG I've got it bad.  Yesterday I was having lunch with my daughter in a local restaurant when I happened to notice that in the courtyard there were two magnificent beech trees shedding their leaves.  It was all I could do to stop myself from asking if I could go and help myself.  The daughter would have been mortified!   ;D

Funy you should say that. I've got 6 kids, I give them all a black bin bag, kick them out the front door and then keep an eye on them from a safe distance... Generally from an upstairs bedroom window  :o
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 21:37:59 »
yes i generally fine i can do lots of weird on the fringe stuff a lot more boldly if I've got my kids with me, i think people won't look at me as some lonely weirdo ::) :-\.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 22:06:12 »
The road is getting used to me out there with my rake and black bags ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 22:18:34 »
I'm beginning to think I'm too fussy.  I wouldn't dream of collecting leaves from the street where there have been parked cars, dogs and goodness know what else in close proximity.  I 'acquire' mine from fenced off areas of the local recreation ground and similar nearby open spaces.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 11:06:29 »
This thread inspired me yesterday to go and sweep up all the leaves on my side of the road and put them in the leaf mould cage at the allotment.  It's now full to overflowing and I may need to build another one.
Keep Calm and Carry On

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal