Author Topic: CHRISTMAS LUNCH........HELP  (Read 5932 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: CHRISTMAS LUNCH........HELP
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 16:25:22 »
When I had loads of people for Christmas lunch I got in a right state and walked round the streets crying in the morning and everyone wished me happy Christmas and I felt like telling them all to p..s off.  It turned out OK in the end but I only enjoyed it after dinner was served.  Ended up with baking trays on the kitchen floor and totally confused.  OK if one has a big kitchen and after all that fuss the little old lady who I got in a state about sat by the fire told me off for cooking too much and was overwhelmed.  Boxing day is the best as all the pressure if off.  It is OK to go out, but very expensive, and the children/grandchildren much prefer to be at home.  I also have the veggies and the non veggies and a small house/kitchen which makes it difficult, but they still want to come so it can't be all that bad.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 16:34:57 »
I,m having my daughter and Gkids round this xmas after many years of just cooking for us 2. I intend to fill the freezer with stuff that just needs thawing then plonk loads of things on the table so they can just help them selfs after all it,s my christmas too
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2008, 17:11:03 »
You are brave!

Just a few thoughts:

don't give guests a choice of starter - more work for you if you do! Is there a starter that everyone could enjoy, even the vegetarians? Perhaps some sort of mini-tapas type cold nibbles that can be served on one large dish and eaten over a napkin - save on washing up too.

a lot of vegetables in a traditional Xmas meal are roasted, but that can mean your oven gets over full. Perhaps serve potatoes as mash, and blend carrots and swede also as a mash (a fav of my mums and tasty). Serving this way could also mean you could prepare in advance and freeze.

If you think you're going to run out of oven space, then why not borrow a microwave or even an oven from a neighbour who is going away for Xmas?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2008, 18:13:36 »
no choice of starter, try to arrange it so that you have 8 dishes of veg, 1 plate on each as a lid! plates stay hot, everyone helps themselves to veg, should mean less wastage. A cold dessert can be dished out in advance as well. good luck! rgds, tony ;)
You couldn't make it up!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2008, 18:25:45 »
We usually start either with a scotch broth sort of soup prepared well in advance and reheated or sort of smoked salmon roule (frozen and defrosted on the day) with lemon and dribbles of salady stuff. we have 2 ovens so the turkey and stuffings go in the big one, the roasting veg including potatoes in the little one. bread sauce in the microwave and also gravy prepared in advance from turkey bits and frozen. Apart from the turkey and veg Xmas is a defrost and reheat job. Normally we're all stuffed to bursting by the end of the main course so we have a break and a glass of something festive and the youngest grandchild takes round all the presents. Yes we are that self -controlled!! ;D ;D :P Sometime during this I nip off to the kitchen and reappear with a flaming Xmas pud to bring them all back to the kitchen. While all this is happening my kids clear up the kitchen, load the dishwasher, wipe the surfaces and so on.

Pete always used to prepare a third of a Stilton cheese laced with port  months in advance so if anyone feels peckish as the evening goes on we roll out the Stilton and a bottle of port and of course there's Xmas cake for the sweet-toothed.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 15:01:38 »
As others have said, keep the menu simple, do as much prep. beforehand as possible, and make your guests help! You can buy gel filled pads that you microwave and put between plates to keep them hot, my mother swears by them. I've always liked the Christmas supper better than the lunch, loads of salad, fish, cold cuts, pickles and help yourself!

Having a few glasses of wine during the cooking period might help you not care too much about how it is all going, although that was my downfall one year when my parents came up to us for Christmas dinner bringing with them some very acceptable Champagne...a few glasses later I thought I had everything under control until the duck slid out of the oven straight onto the floor and had to be hastily rearranged and cleaned before consumption.... :-[ :-[ :-[ I'm not suprised casualty is busy over the Christmas period...
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 15:16:35 »
There are always 8 here for Christmas dinner.

We never have a starter,there is always more than enough main course to keep everyone sated.We always have Christmas pud etc but it hardly ever gets eaten until Boxing day.

I usually prepare the dinner and the typical menu would be like this;

Meat.usually turkey crown
Bacon rolls
Sausages
Mashed and Roast potatoes
Carrots
Peas
Sprouts
Green Beans.

nothing fancy just a good old roast dinner.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 16:07:23 »
I would not mind if people gave a thought about what Christmas is all about, we got out of  feeding  other family members at Christmas years ago, normally we shoot off abroad but this year for a 'Bit of Class' it's Blackpool ;)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 16:57:21 »
Fork, dinner sounds delicious.  Not sure about mice pies and do you really, really not like Christmas cake.  Christmas cake and wedding cake are my favourite cakes, apart from scones, jam and cream (if that is a cake).

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 17:00:15 »
A lot of good advice on this thread.  Just one thing to add - you can use a pre-heated slow cooker as a handy substitute for a hotplate for things like roast potatoes that won't dry out too easily.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 18:54:52 »
Bets.....way back you said this...

"I would love to eat out.We did it the year my dad died as we could not face the empty chair business.I thought it was a good experience but the family wanted to be at home since."

That's what you want, the family have designated you as the Chief Cook and, well perhaps not Bottle Washer, but you get the idea?

It's your Christmas too.

My suggestion....while you're at B'ville College, check into the Womens' Assertiveness Course.....then book the bloody table ;D

Then you can all pile round to yours for zzzzzzing in front of the tele, or whatever.

Stress-free or wot?

8)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2008, 19:53:09 »
... and hopefully everyone pays their own way... cos it's going to be expensive!!!

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2008, 20:51:41 »
Fork, dinner sounds delicious.  Not sure about mice pies and do you really, really not like Christmas cake.  Christmas cake and wedding cake are my favourite cakes, apart from scones, jam and cream (if that is a cake).

Although I say it myself,dinner will be delicious  ;D

No I really dont like Christmas cake or Dundee cake and things like that......but its strange that I can eat a little bit of Christmas pud and mince pies because its the currants and sultanas that I dont like in cake

... and hopefully everyone pays their own way... cos it's going to be expensive!!!

All the veg you see on my dinner menu is home grown......so apart from what I spent on seed etc,my main expense will be the meat.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2008, 21:07:38 »
I am doing the same this year - doing Christmas dinner for everyone with just a standard oven.

However I am blessed with a very helpful family - I usually take the wine and cheese board when I go over to either my mums or sisters for Christmas. This year - my sister is doing the starter a smoked salmon and prawn roulade and she will even be bringing the melba toast. My mum is doing the puds and for the Xmas pud I can use this microwave (I'll go to chefs confession later for use of devils kitchen inventions which encourage slothful ways  ;) ). My OH will be in charge of drinks and entertaining - so I only have to bother about the main course.

I would echo everyone elses sentiments - the table top hostess trolley things are a god send. Me being a bit of a spontaneous entertainer never had one - but my OH being a smooth lounge lizard sort of a chap and used to entertaining has had one of these since the early nineties. Laughed at it at first but a god send now.
 ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 00:33:08 »
I would love to eat out.
Bets.....way back you said this...

"I would love to eat out.We did it the year my dad died as we could not face the empty chair business.I thought it was a good experience but the family wanted to be at home since."

That's what you want, the family have designated you as the Chief Cook and, well perhaps not Bottle Washer, but you get the idea?

It's your Christmas too.

My suggestion....while you're at B'ville College, check into the Womens' Assertiveness Course.....then book the bloody table ;D

Then you can all pile round to yours for zzzzzzing in front of the tele, or whatever.

Stress-free or wot?

8)

All the veg you see on my dinner menu is home grown......so apart from what I spent on seed etc,my main expense will be the meat.
Sorry Fork! I was referring to these previous posts and to the exorbitant cost of eating out at Xmas.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 13:00:38 »
Roast potatoes can be started the day before. Parboil the peeled spuds then drain. Put into a hot fat/oil in a roasting pan (pre-heated in the oven or on top)  turn until covered in the oil (ideally keeping the oil up to temp on the hob) then allow to cool, cover and refrigerate.  This can save a bit of time on the day. Think you can do this with parsnips as well but go easy on the parboiling.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2008, 14:20:46 »
When I had loads of people for Christmas lunch I got in a right state and walked round the streets crying in the morning and everyone wished me happy Christmas

Oh Borlotti bless you.  I want to give you a hug now!  The thought of someone being so sad and stressed on Christmas Day :(

I cooked my first 'big' family Christmas dinner last year and I felt it was a disaster.  Not only was it for 8 people (I'm only used to doing 3 lol) but it was in my sister's kitchen which I'd never cooked in before.  What could have gone wrong, went wrong and I hated it!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2008, 17:18:35 »
don't know if it helps, netto has the table top thingies in on thursday, reduced to 14.99 from 24.99, larger stores only  :)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2008, 18:35:18 »
Dear Fork, did you get it you said MICE pies.  Please don't talk about Christmas now as I am quite happy, but am sure I will panic again this year.  I am retired and at home so should be able to cook, buy presents etc. but am afraid it is just too many expectations on me.  I think I will hide at the allotment until it is all over.  I do think the advertising on TV of a perfect Christmas hide the reality and a lot of people are sad at Christmas.

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2008, 19:23:25 »

oh Borlotti, do think you are right and we have lost the thread of Christmas a bit, you have to let your family know if you want an  ' alternative ' Christmas,  I can't imagine a Christmas without them - but
they may be doing what they think pleases you most !

We have all got together and for the first time have booked a holiday in warmer climes,  don't know
how it will turn out, we will all probably miss the ' traditions ' we are used to - a barbie on the beach will seem a bit wierd to say the least !

Has anyone else had this experiance ?  Please tell me how it went !

Please tell your family if it is all too much, they love you and will understand.

floss  xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal