Author Topic: Apple friends.  (Read 1249 times)

Smellslikegreenspirit

Apple friends.
« on: October 02, 2008, 21:26:28 »
I need a suitable polloinator Apple tree to go with my "Discovery". I would like it to be a crisp apple. Any ideas??   

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Apple friends.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 22:36:36 »
Off the cuff, no.

Basically what you need is an apple that flowers at the same time as your Discovery, that produces the required crisp apples.

I would suggest that you go on the Ken Muir (or other fruit supplier sites), to see what is available.

I'm a bit out of date regarding what new varieties are available at the moment.

valmarg

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 22:50:56 »
I grow mine with a fiesta, an egremont russet and a blenheim orange... and get a good crop of each. I think the fiesta is the cross pollinator for the discovery. A crisp redish apple that is slightly later to follow on from it!
 ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 12:28:18 »
Cox's is a bit temperamental; Fiesta is more reliable, is in the same pollination group as discovery, and crops later so you'd have a longer season. But do check further as there are so manyapples which would do it.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 20:05:33 »
It really depends where the enquirer is living. Neither cox or fiesta are suitable for the North West, as I can testify as they will be ruined by Canker.
Discovery is in pollination group B, and there are quite a few good apples in pollination group B.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 20:11:46 by realfood »
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal