Author Topic: Pelargoniums and verbena  (Read 1246 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Pelargoniums and verbena
« on: September 28, 2008, 18:01:03 »
I have some pelargoniums in my borders which I would like to keep for next year.  They are looking really good and it would be a shame to disturb them.   Should I dig them out now or leave them for another month keeping my fingers crossed that any advance frost warning gives me enough time to get them out then?  Of course it depends as well whether I hear the warning.   ::)

I also have some beautifully coloured verbena plants that I grew from seeds.  Is it possible to overwinter them too?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Pelargoniums and verbena
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 20:12:08 »
Hi Pauline.  If the Pelargoniums are looking good I'd be inclined to leave them where they are for now but have some fleece handy to put over them should you get a particularly chilly night.  I kept mine out all last winter (cut back) and they survived, but as I've said many times before I have a fairly sheltered London garden.  I'm not sure about the Vebena though, sorry.  I've only ever grown an annual type.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 23:11:18 »
You can but try Pauline, I have a selection from a hanging basket, of what we grow as annuals here, in the greenhouse. Plectanthrus, Petunia, Pelargoniums and Fuschia, Bacopa and somat else. Its worth a go as I have nothing else in there over winter.

Will find out if it was worth it or not in spring ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 11:54:23 »
Thanks very much for your replies.  I will leave the pelargoniums a bit longer then. 

The verbena I am growing is an annual but I had one in a pot outside which overwintered for several years though it looked scruffy in the end and I got rid of it.  I think I will dig a couple of my favourites up with the geraniums and see if I can keep them flowering indoors as they are so pretty.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 22:24:01 »
You could take cuttings of your verbena, to overwinter.  I find they root very easily.
Whilst they are advertised as annuals, if we have a mild Winter they could survive.  By taking cuttings you 'belt and brace'.

valmarg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal