Author Topic: ornithogalum  (Read 2065 times)

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
ornithogalum
« on: August 10, 2004, 09:07:05 »
Hi All.
Have recently been given a large pot of the above. I believe its common name is drooping star of Bethlehem.I would like to keep it in the pot, but was wondering how to overwinter,feed etc. to get as good a display for next year.
Thanks
Anne

sister_sizzy

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:ornithogalum
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 06:08:41 »
Hi Anne, there are about 3 different species of Ornithogalum.
O.thyrsoides - not hardy and grown as an indoor pot plant- reduce watering once flowering has finished and repot each autumn.
O. nutans and O.umbellatum - are both fully hardy - and can be grown outdoors in well drained soil in sun or partial shade.
Hoope this helps.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 18:26:55 »
Actually there are over 80 species of Ornithogalum.The South African ones are not hardy, but most of the European ones are. especially those from Turkish mountain areas. The 2 which are generally referred to as Star of Bethlehem are O. pyrenaicum and O. umbellatum. The first one is also called Bath Asparagus. They are both hardy, but in a pot it would be better if the soil was not allowed to freeze as this could damage the bulbs. To grow they need a sunny site and well drained soil. Over winter they should be kept cold and just moist. Next Spring wait until you see the shoots appearing thenm start to water and feed with liquid fertiliser at half strength about once a month. Hope this helps.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 22:53:37 »
But Eric, Georgiesgirl specifically mentioned `drooping Star of Bethlehem`, and if this description is correct then the plant is surely O. nutans, which is not fully hardy, and also prefers partial shade.

I would be inclined to repot with fresh compost, and overwinter in a cold frame, or even a shed.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal