Author Topic: Another Brussel Sprout Question ....  (Read 871 times)

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
Another Brussel Sprout Question ....
« on: September 30, 2008, 13:05:46 »
Sorry but may I pose another sprout question? This was my 1st full season and 1st attempt at growing these. I managed to protect my plants from the pigeons and an infestation of caterpillars that decimated my PSB and caulies. However ..... they are covered in white fly - as I shake them it's like a winter wonderland! Not only that but they are covered in this black stuff looks like oil but I guess it's powdery as it can be wiped with a wet finger. What on earth can it be and also what can I do about these millions of white fly. Any help will be gratefully received. Thanks

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
Re: Another Brussel Sprout Question ....
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 13:46:34 »
the white stuff is called powdery mildew...the white fly  needs spraying every couple of days
they breed like fun
the black stuff is left by the white fly
try hoseing the sprouts  with water

jim

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Another Brussel Sprout Question ....
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 14:14:41 »
I never bother about them simply because I find they don't do much damage.

I don't bother about the powdery deposits either for the simple reason; as soon as the sprouts begin to swell  the plants will tend to drop their leaves naturally to allow light in to the sprouts.

The only thing I would mention is remove the dropped leaves as they fall as these make the perfect 'winter habitat' for good and bad pests and possibly disease.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal