Author Topic: Alternative to Derris  (Read 6867 times)

martinrowe

• Not So New ...
Alternative to Derris
« on: September 29, 2008, 11:18:58 »
I am not sure if this has been asked / answered before, but I am wondering if anybody has got any suggestions of an alternative to Derris.

I went to a local garden center the other week and they had none on the shelves, the sales assistant did not think they would be getting any more supplies due to it being discontinued due to the EU not allowing it's sale to continue because a full report about the content and effects were not provided by Derris.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Alternative to Derris
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 11:44:20 »
If you phone around garden centres, hardware shops etc in your area you might find somewhere that still has some stock.. The ban on selling it doesn't come into force until 10 Oct.

I don't know of any alternatives - I bought a supply of derris when I found out it was being taken off the market. 

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 09:24:34 »
How do i get rid of flea beetle now :-\

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 09:41:22 »
LBS still appear to be selling it if you want to stock up...

http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=R-DDD&src=froogle

Bean_Queen

• Half Acre
  • growfruitandveg
Derris is nasty
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 05:58:43 »
Derris is nasty stuff.  It's non-selective and kills bees as well as your naughty bugs.  Caterpillars have been a huge problem this year, even getting under the netting (the wind kept blowing it off) .  I found a few more ideas here: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/wildlife-gardening/how-green-derris_22601.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal