Author Topic: Goodies or badies?  (Read 4740 times)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Goodies or badies?
« on: August 20, 2004, 17:11:14 »
Are these critters good of bad? I hope they just make pretty butterflies, if not I'm going to mow down all the plants they are on.

Hugh_Jones

Re:Goodies or badies?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 18:26:08 »
Ina, although the colours are not quite right (the darker bits should be more greenish), this looks like a near perfect picture of the caterpillar of the dear old cabbage large white butterfly (pieris brassicae) busily demolishing a nasturtium leaf.

Don`t let it get near your brassicas!

If you pick off the caterpillars by hand and drop them in your goldfish pond the goldfish should love them.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 18:30:07 »
Hugh - are you questioning Ina's new camera capability?? Brave chap! = Tim

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 18:45:22 »
Hahaha Tim, Hugh just doesn't know how sensitive I am about anyone questioning my camara's capabilities. Never mind, I forgive anything for sound advice.

That's it then for the caterpillars, the nasturtiums are going! Would frogs eat them? No fish pond but a canal with lots of frogs bordering the lottie. I don't grow any brassica due to clubroot in the soil but I don't want to spoil the fun of the other allotmenteers at the complex.
Thanks for the warning Hugh.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 18:49:57 »
tim, I would never dare question any of Ina`s capabilities.

I think the problem is simply that Ina`s camera regiusters in Vermeer colours, while my monitor only registers in Constable or Gainsborough

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 18:55:54 »
To think that, at 10, I used to sun-print my home developed  negatives - & later went on to develop & print Dufaycolour in the late '40s. = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 22:29:56 »
ooooo Ina, for me they are the biggest and baddest baddies of all!  They have decimated my brocolli!  And they are 'orrible to squash!  But, now I know fishes will eat them I think the kids and I will get up to the plot tomorrow with a couple of jam jars and the kids can go caterpillar hunting and then feed them to their fishy friends!  ;D

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 22:34:40 »
Maybe the cabbage whites prefer the nasturtiums? One year, having read a book on companion planting (think it was a translation from Dutch?), I planted nasturtiums next to my dad's french beans as we had problems with blackfly the year before - not a single aphid on the beans, but my nasturtiums looked a bit worse for wear!
Maybe you should try nasturtiums as a trap crop...
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

cflossy

• Not So New ...
  • I love my allotment
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 19:41:17 »
I planted nasturtiums next to my cabbages and the caterpillers absolutely devastated the cabbages but did not even look at the nasturtiums >:( , I was picking at least what seems like 100 a night off. even had nightmares about the blighters!
the cabbages and the caterpillers had to go.  :'(
have cocooned my puple sprouting broccoli tho. I defy them to get in!!!!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 22:54:01 »
Plant my nasturtiums in front of my runners every year........the black fly  feast on my flowers and seem to leave the beans alone! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 17:50:43 »
So, baddies it is. I know what they look like, they won't get a second chance.
Thanks all.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal