Author Topic: TEN THOUSAND TORIES  (Read 10731 times)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Re: TEN THOUSAND TORIES
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 00:28:23 »
Yup, he called round but the butler wouldn't let him in. Sent him off to Enfield instead.

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 09:17:50 »
I expect they are going to Birmingham to get in touch with the lower classes.

It is obvious from your nasty comment that you have not been off your tiny island, and visited Birmingham recently.

valmarg

Birmingham has a great city centre now.The Bull Ring has been rebuilt and the canal area modernised out of recognition.I am particularly proud of Synphony Hall.

Yes some areas are grotty,short of knocking them down and starting again,what do you do?However some areas are lovely.We moved to Meriden,just a few miles out of the city but we intend to move back eventually.Not a good time to move at the moment.

Ollie,my father lost his job in the car industry as did many of his generation and it was hard times all round.Many skilled men scratting round for low paid jobs.It could make you weep.

Aww, he's only joking! If the Tories wanted to appeal to the inbred populous, they'd be having it on the "Southern Island"!!!

I did wonder if any of them might like to hang around in Birmingham after their beanfeast and visit some of the misery that their hero caused? They could make a day of it, "here's where we used to have factories", "here's where we housed the unemployed people that we took the jobs from and then called lazy", "here's where we have ongoing poverty and social deprivation as a result of our policies in the 80's"...

You know, sometimes I think Cameron's got a point. And then I remember the misery and suffering I saw when growing up.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 09:19:34 »
Made a mess of that one ,just read the bit in the middleLOL :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 10:05:38 »
Well it was supposed to be a joke, but I did not realise that the lower classes are a bit slow in the humour dept. ;)

Now I shall have to defend my litle septic isle after you all started slagging it off.

How many motorways do you have carving up the countryside? we have none.

How many beggars do you have on the streets? we have none. (well there was the big issue bloke, but we told him the F. off  and get a proper job)

Can you let your kids play on the street and wander the downs? We can

Traffic jams?  I had to wait last year for a few minutes when they were sweeping and cleaning.

Swim in the sea? or a pool full of p!ss

Unemployment? Just a few of yours that come over now and again.

Allotments? plenty to go round or loads of spare space in our front gardens.  They are not used as offroad parking here.

I have to go over on the ferry quite often, I get back as quick as I can. I know where I would rather live.

But in all your cities defence, I am starting to take my holidays over there. It's like going to the zoo ;)

Where would you rather walk your dog?  HERE

or HERE

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 10:15:12 »
Get real ACE.What are we supposed to do,all move to the IOW,you only survive due to Tourism and lots of retired people.

You need a mortgage just to get the ferry.You are so ripped off.About the most expensive ferry running isn't it.?

Yes you have lovely scenery,feel it a privilege not something to gloat about.

Your the one in the Zoo,just something to look at and then head home again. :o

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 10:26:45 »
The ferries are expensive to keep the riff raff off. Oer thats a lot of f's without swearing ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 10:30:02 »
Ace you mustn't post photos like that, you will make people come to the IOW and then it would be too busy - go and find a horrid picture - one of the beaches crowded on a bank holiday - you've got to keep them away not encourage them! ;)

It is a favourite place for a day out for us!

T.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 10:30:47 »
I used to have a nice view of "The Island" when I lived on Hayling Island... it looked alright.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 10:33:19 »
Betula, I like Birmingham too, OH's family come from there and I have met some lovely people.  His Gran was the most amazing lady I have ever met, I really miss her. :(

T.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 10:41:23 »
Maybe it depends on personal experience.  We lived in Brum for 5 years, and indeed my two eldest were born there.

In spite of that, it wasn't an enjoyable experience.  In very few other places in the world have I encountered so much crass materialism, casual racism, and sheer ignorance.  Well, OK, perhaps Riyadh beats it on all three counts.  But I wouldn't want to live there again, either.

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 10:49:55 »
Well it was supposed to be a joke, but I did not realise that the lower classes are a bit slow in the humour dept. ;)

Now I shall have to defend my litle septic isle after you all started slagging it off.

How many motorways do you have carving up the countryside? we have none. NONE
How many beggars do you have on the streets? we have none. (well there was the big issue bloke, but we told him the F. off  and get a proper job) NONE WHERE I LIVE

Can you let your kids play on the street and wander the downs? We can YEP, WELL NOT TECHNICALLY DOWNS

Traffic jams?  I had to wait last year for a few minutes when they were sweeping and cleaning. NOT REALLY

Swim in the sea? or a pool full of p!ss "NICE BEACHES, OK SEA"

Unemployment? Just a few of yours that come over now and again. OK, GOT ME

Allotments? plenty to go round or loads of spare space in our front gardens.  They are not used as offroad parking here. LAST ONE WENT THE OTHER DAY. I BLAME JAMIE

I have to go over on the ferry quite often, I get back as quick as I can. I know where I would rather live.

But in all your cities defence, I am starting to take my holidays over there. It's like going to the zoo ;)

Where would you rather walk your dog?  HERE

or HERE

I love Norfolk.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 10:53:46 by Flunky »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 11:12:26 »

I love Norfolk.  ;D

Ah! Norfolk and good ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 11:41:42 »
The ferries are expensive to keep the riff raff off. Oer that's a lot of F's without swearing ;D

Without your riff raff your island would be broke,and you know it.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 12:31:39 »

Without your riff raff your island would be broke,and you know it.

As you have already stated we are a very big retirement home. But it is mainly the rich who come here. All of a sudden they have a garden to look after and haven't got a clue. Step in (big trumpet fanfare) ACE to the rescue. Not everyone mind you, as I only work for millionaires. Go on scoff if you like, but it is the truth. I interview my clients, they only get me if I like them and their money.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 12:35:12 »
Personally I'd rather live in a city any day ACE, I live in Glasgow where I'm 30 minutes from mountains (real countryside) and I get to be around a huge diversity of people including Big Issue sellers most of who I like and have a laugh with as I'm not a narrow minded snob. I also enjoy a drive in a car sometimes and going to a variety of restaurants, bars etc etc.

I especially love the markets that are now around the 'dreaded' red road flats where all the diverse cultures (bloody asylum seekers) sell their home made goods and talk to the locals.

Also kids wander the streets all the time, in fact I dont remember the last one that was badly hurt, I feel this is good for them as it makes them grow up having a real idea of what the world is like and not some snooty false blinkered vision.  

I prefer the real world I'd die of boredom and frustration at the greedy middle class attitudes on your island.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 12:43:09 »
i guess i had better stop hiding, I love the island
lbb

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 13:19:17 »
i guess i had better stop hiding, I love the island
lbb

Im sure its a fabulous island, I'm just getting ACE back.  ;)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 13:31:22 »
by the way, what do you call someone who's from the IoW? from Scilly, you're a Scillonian, IoM Manx, Corfu Corfiote..........

or is nobody actually born on the island?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 13:44:43 »
by the way, what do you call someone who's from the IoW? from Scilly, you're a Scillonian, IoM Manx, Corfu Corfiote..........

or is nobody actually born on the island?

Guess they're Wighter than Wight? More than you can say for dear old Brum - 2010 was the projected year that the white brummies were supposed to be in the minority, but read recently that this target's going to be met before then.

Hate the place, me, and dreaming of my Great Escape. :)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 13:53:57 »
IoM = Manx
IoW = ?

i'll get me coat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal