Author Topic: fruit garden ideas please !!!!  (Read 1851 times)

N8R

• Quarter Acre
fruit garden ideas please !!!!
« on: September 24, 2008, 20:08:04 »
am thinking of starting a fruit garden next year to  mainly cater for the little girl and was after some ideas for a relativly easy quick return have got an area about 8x8 metres thanks alot    ....... ??? ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: fruit garden ideas please !!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 20:47:09 »
Hi N8R,

I ordered some Joan J autumn fruiting raspberries from Marshalls this time last year and we have had loads off them already and loads more still to come!  They arrived late November and planted as soon as we could.  Lots of people on here had talked about them and now I am doing the same as they were right!

http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/rkmain.asp?PAGEID=20670&STK_PROD_CODE=1060-5516&CTL_CAT_CODE=M11021&XPAGENO=2

I would definitely recommend them. :)

T.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 21:19:27 »
Oh for a little girl it has to be strawberries, easy to grow and easy to eat straight from the plant. Try a few alpine ones small yes but big in taste.
If you grow lots of strawberries get a couple of redcurrant bushess these are great when making strawberry jam, helps it set, she can have her own jam through the winter.
Redcurrants are lovely and the jelley ( jam with no seeds) out of this world.
Thornless blackberries are good for children picking them.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 21:20:40 »
A Jostaberry will give you more "blackcurrants" than you would ever need and they are larger than true currants being a gooseberry cross...  :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 21:45:29 »
These dwarf fruit trees grow can be grown directly in the ground or in pots.  I grow mine in pots.  They can be moved if I wish depending on the weather.  They grow to approximately 1.5m (5ft).  You could put several fruit trees in the space you have available.  I have the Dwarf Compact Stella and Dwarf Pear at home.  Both are good fruit produces here in the North East of England.  I already have 2 apple trees at the allotment.

http://www.bakker.co.uk/index.aspx?Ntt=dwarf+fruit+trees&Ntk=NL&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Nty=1&N=0&D=dwarf+fruit+trees

Don't forget trusted favourite,  rhubarb.  Timperley early and Victoria will ensure a good supply from March - August.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 22:38:51 »
These dwarf fruit trees grow can be grown directly in the ground or in pots.  I grow mine in pots.  They can be moved if I wish depending on the weather.  They grow to approximately 1.5m (5ft).  You could put several fruit trees in the space you have available.  I have the Dwarf Compact Stella and Dwarf Pear at home.  Both are good fruit produces here in the North East of England.  I already have 2 apple trees at the allotment.

http://www.bakker.co.uk/index.aspx?Ntt=dwarf+fruit+trees&Ntk=NL&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Nty=1&N=0&D=dwarf+fruit+trees

Don't forget trusted favourite,  rhubarb.  Timperley early and Victoria will ensure a good supply from March - August.

hi i have been thinking about getting a few of these, how long before you got your first fruits?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 22:42:59 »
You will get fruit in the 2nd year
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 07:40:36 »
You have lots of room to grow quite a few fruits on 8X8m

I agree with a dwarf fruit tree, maybe even get one that will fan out along a wall.

My strawberries are being divided up at present and I am finding lots of runners which I am going to put on free cycle. Maybe you could go to free cycle and put a 'wanted' on for some in your area. These will yield a good crop for next year.

It is always good to teach by showing. Something which grows quick and they can eat straight away so, whilst some of the bushes you plant wont give a quick return first year, you will need to space them. In between I suggest you grow some dwarf peas, involving the child at the sowing planting stages so that she can see how they grow. Peas are lovely, sweet tasting from the pod. No need to cook. They are easy to grow too.

pjb

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 08:05:45 »
I found Huckleberries very easy to grow in a pot, lots of berries that I made jam from. Might be an idea.......

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 09:48:19 »
Check out some of the deals here. This place is great, and  cheap!

http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/index.php

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 09:49:59 by sawfish »

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 10:25:37 »
Check out some of the deals here. This place is great, and  cheap!

http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/index.php

I would second that, at the same time as my raspberries I bought a load of fuit bushes from here - blackcurrants, redcurrants, gooseberries etc.  They are all growing well and really healthy, I am much impressed.  Your daughter would have to wait much longer to see the fruit though as they will not crop until the next year.

T.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 12:58:14 »
you've got to have an apple tree with red apples. Its the stuff of fairy tales.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 14:44:30 »
A Jostaberry will give you more "blackcurrants" than you would ever need and they are larger than true currants being a gooseberry cross...  :)
I second that and also leveller gooseberries.  Just spray them regularly with bicarbonate solution.

N8R

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 18:48:52 »
thanks to u all for the ideas and info very helpful !!!!.. ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal