Author Topic: Best French Bean  (Read 10266 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Best French Bean
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 12:51:33 »
Safari is my favourite for dwarf beans as it is a true filet bean.. Fortex makes a good sub for a filet climber.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 11:40:36 »
I tried 'Tromphe de Farey' and 'Beurre de Rocquencourt' that I got in one of A4A's  seeds swaps this year.

I was very impressed with both of them, slightly thicker than a filet type, but speckled pods and very tender and tasty. Had to restrain myself and not pick the later ones so I had some saved beans for next year!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 22:10:17 »
We tried Delinel and Cupidon dwarf - both good, tender and filet type when young, didnt let em get too big this year either ;)
Also trying Orca, Cannelino, and Dapple Grey for drying

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 13:01:05 »
thanks for those great tips! I will try those cosse violette then, and just have to build myself some wigwams :-)

I always get a good crop of dwarf beans with the yellow varieties. I grew Kinghorn wax and they are terrific, great flavour and tender, no strings. Unfortunately they are harder to pick.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

elly

tomato costoluto florentino
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 16:04:15 »
has anyone grown these toms this year.I was expecting some irregular shapes & sizes but mine look like something from another planet,all spikey& mishapen ! ! !

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 16:47:28 »
How did that happen ???

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 18:37:15 »
Cobra for us = third year running, very successful and popular  :P :P :P :P :P
The Tuscan Beaneater

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 18:51:04 »
I grew Blue Lake for many years ... flavour very good but I have had problems with bean rust, particularly in wet summers.

I switched to Cobra this year ... flavour not quite as good as Blue Lake (but perfectly acceptable) .... on the other hand they have been much more reliable and much more prolific.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2008, 19:34:15 »
has anyone grown these toms this year.I was expecting some irregular shapes & sizes but mine look like something from another planet,all spikey& mishapen ! ! !

Where did you come from. ??? ???

valmarg

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 16:18:48 »
I've worked it out now, Valmarg. It's because Elly is a newbie and got a bit lost, maybe?

Hi Elly Welcome to A4A. when you want to start a new thread you need to be out of a thread and and choose the 'New Topic' button, if you find yourself deleting the Subject (e.g. This one says  Subject: Re:Best French Bean) at the top then you're in the wrong bit for starting a new topic.

elly

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008, 00:14:33 »
Sorry Kea, didnt realize It wont happen again.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008, 08:14:54 »
hiya, elly..welcome to the site  ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008, 11:52:48 »
Safari is my favourite for dwarf beans as it is a true filet bean.. Fortex makes a good sub for a filet climber.

Are there any other filet climbers Jeannine? (Fortex doesn't seem available in the UK)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008, 11:57:52 »
I'm looking for Fortex too Barnowl.  I could only find one US suppler.  I was going to settle for the Safari bush alternative that Jeannine suggested but I'd much rather have a climber if possible.  Because of the toxic manure I've only got a small clean space for planting the 'sensitive' species so trying to make the best use of it and go upwards.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008, 12:50:07 »
Yes I prefer climbers because the beans on the dwarf ones just get eaten by the slugs... I have got some dwarf ones of unknown variety but mostly half/entirely eaten beans on them.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 13:00:17 »
Ceres, if I can find a reliable US supplier, I'll get some and send some on to you. I don't usually grow more than 12 of any one variety of bean.

To name just a few that stock Fortex:

Vermont bean seed company
Natural Gardening Company (who also stock Emerite*)
Swallowtail
Burpee
Johnnyseeds

Anyone know them?

I think Emerite might be a substitute for Fortex but they don't sound as slim.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2008, 13:42:31 »
http://www.seeds-by-size.co.uk/peasb98.htm have a good selection of climbing French beans.  Like many others, we plant Cosse Violette and Cobra.  Both have been good this year.

For those who don't mind the dwarf plants, we bought some Cropper Teepee from a French garden centre last year, and they proved very productive indeed.  We'll certainly be sowing them again next spring.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2008, 14:48:08 »
I've worked it out now, Valmarg. It's because Elly is a newbie and got a bit lost, maybe?

Thanks for the explanation Kea.  It just came as a bit of a surprise. ;D

Welcome to the site elly.

valmarg

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2008, 22:13:50 »
Ceres, if I can find a reliable US supplier, I'll get some and send some on to you. I don't usually grow more than 12 of any one variety of bean.

What a kind offer Barnowl, thank you!  Will of course share the cost and postage if you manage to find a good supplier.  I don't need a huge number either.  With the space restriction I'm trying to go for quality, so the recommendations on the forum for all the different veg are great.  My list is forming! 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 22:17:00 by ceres »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal