Author Topic: What To Eat Now  (Read 3631 times)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
What To Eat Now
« on: September 30, 2008, 14:08:21 »
I watched this programme last night as it featured squashes......I only know "ordinary" pumpkin and butternut.   I am now determined to try and grow the Blue Hubbard and Red Onion.  A suggestion has already been made for a supplier of the Blue Hubbard seeds under a separate thread, but can someone tell me is the Red Onion also known as Red Uchiki Kuri or just Uchiki Kuri or am I completely going up the wrong street?  Many thanks.
twinkletoes

Humble Bumble

• Not So New ...
Re: What To Eat Now
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 14:19:01 »
I also watch this programme and have just ordered some blue hubbard seeds. 

On the red oninon front I grew the standard Red Barron, which this year have only produced small onions between a golfball and a tennis ball in size, these I tended to pick throughout the summer for my salads as a lot of them went to flower, so I have only managed to produce 2 strings for storing.  I think these will not store to well as I have already had a couple start to soften.

Humble Bumble

Humble Bumble

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 14:23:49 »
See there I go again, confusing things.  The Red Onion I was meaning was the Red Onion squash - I was wondering if I look for Uchiki Kuri or Red Uchiki Kuri when ordering.  Didn't grow red onions this year but last year grew Red Baron and was very pleased with them - they kept for quite a long while too.
twinkletoes

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 14:24:48 »
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 14:31:11 »
It certainly looks as though they are one and the same.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 14:31:35 »
..........ah that's the one .........thanks Dukie.   HB, are you there?  Who did you order the Blue Hubbard through?
twinkletoes

Humble Bumble

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 14:46:15 »
Hi Twinkletoes

I have ordered mine through Tuckers,  I have used them previously for ordering a garlic lovers pack which was a great success.

I also found them on an american site (jonnyseeds) but decided to stick to a uk site.

Humble Bumble
Humble Bumble

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 14:53:52 »
Many thanks HB.... think I'll stick with the UK supplier too.
twinkletoes

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 14:58:12 »
http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/catalogue/product/2796-1/ seem to have them. I couldn't find them on Tuckers' website and although they list Uchiki Kuri they appear to be sold out. Harrod Horticultural have them though.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 15:40:46 »
.......well I nearly fell off my perch there.   Thought I'd order some Uchiki Kuri seeds through Harrod Horticulture - 10 seeds - £1.50.  Not bad I guess.   Then they want £4.95 for postage  :o :o :o  Where do they get their prices from?   I ordered some Blue Hubbard seeds from Mr. Fotheringills - £1.75 - no postage to pay! 
twinkletoes

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 15:47:16 »
The organic gardening catalogue -www.organiccatalog.com have 10 Uchiki Kuri for £1.68. Don't know how much postage is though.

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 15:52:49 »
The organic gardening catalogue -www.organiccatalog.com have 10 Uchiki Kuri for £1.68. Don't know how much postage is though.

Have just been browsing through my copy.  There is a handling charge of £1.70 for orders below £27, and free if over £27.

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 15:55:26 »
www.moreveg.co.uk  do them - 3 seeds for 50p!  There are lots of other things on there too in small amounts, and they give excellent service - I've used them twice and got my seeds within days.  If your order is five pounds or more, postage is free.  Worth a look!
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 16:55:33 »
Yes unfortunately Harrods Horticultural are expensive for everything >: if the price of the item doesn't put you off the postage will!! ( but I thought it would be useful for the piccie of the squash! :)

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 21:57:03 »
Kings - £1.00 for 10 seeds plus £1.50 p&p (flat rate p&p for seed order)
http://www.kingsseeds.com/kolist/1/VEGETABLES/V-S/SQUASH/8/12310.htm
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal