Author Topic: Potato blight - help!  (Read 1447 times)

oakmore2

• Half Acre
  • Rabbit surveillance officer
Potato blight - help!
« on: September 23, 2008, 12:55:40 »
Hello All

Just wondered if anyone can offer me any advice? I planted some potatoes for Christmas a few weeks ago. The plants aren't very big and only one is just starting to flower.

BUT horror of horrors - just been down the plot today to find that blight has hit - I've taken off affected leaves, but the stems are affected in quite a few plants. I'm assuming that the potatoes won't be anywhere near ready to lift yet - does anyone have any advice on best actions? Not sure whether to cut the tops off and say a little prayer that the pots will be OK, or whether just to admit defeat and lift them all for burning now?

Any help gratefully received!

xx

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Potato blight - help!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 13:04:43 »
You've got nothing to lose by trying to save them.  Give them a spray with either Bordeaux Mix or a fungicide like dithane and keep spraying at the recommended intervals.  Keep picking off infected leaves.  That's all you can do really.  If you cut the tops off completely, the tubers will stop growing and they're probably not big enough yet.  I've got a few Christmas potatoes in too and I sprayed the leaves with Bordeaux Mix as soon as they started poking through the soil.  So far so good.

Able

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 13:06:07 »
i have had it and there is another thread saying same thing. Where did you get your seeds from ?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 13:07:58 »
Thompson & Morgan - Carlingford.

oakmore2

• Half Acre
  • Rabbit surveillance officer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 16:59:18 »
Thanks Ceres - am giving them a chance to be saved! Fingers crossed!!

;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal